Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fit for a king, or a president

My husband and his colleagues are hosting our college president and his wife at our house tomorrow. Brunch will be served, and the chef for the occasion is none other than yours truly. I hope everything goes well! It definitely won't be fancy, but I want it to be nice.

Here's what's on the menu, accompanied by milk, coffee and juice; and a bowl of fresh strawberries, pineapple and grapes:

Caramel rolls (a family holiday favorite)

2 loaves frozen white bread dough
6 T. margarine
1 c. brown sugar
2 small packages non-instant vanilla pudding
2 t. milk
pinch cinnamon
pecans are optional (I'm omitting as there is a person with a severe nut allergy on staff.)

Thaw loaves. In saucepan, combine margarine, brown sugar, pudding, milk and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Grease 9x13 pan. Break one loaf into pieces and drop in pan. Pour boiled mixture over dough pieces. Break second loaf into pieces, and place on top. Cover and let rise overnight in fridge. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Invert and serve.

Farmers' Favorite Casserole
from Gooseberry Patch Best-Ever Casseroles

8 frozen shredded hashbrown patties
4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound cooked cubed ham
7 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. salt

Arrange hashbrown patties in a single layer in a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with cheese and ham; set aside. Blend together milk, eggs, mustard and salt in a bowl; pour over cheese and ham. Cover and bake at 350 for one hour. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

15 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - your menu sounds great! I'm sure it will be wonderful for everyone!

Jen said...

Carrie,
Everything sounds delicious!!
I hope your morning goes smoothly:~)
Let us know how it went.
Jen

Niki RuralWritings said...

I am sure you will do a beautiful job! The recipes look scrumptious, especially the hashbrown casserole, I love those things.

Anonymous said...

Your menu looks great, and I'm sure everything will be lovely!

Is this the outgoing or incoming president?

Love you, Mom

Leah in Iowa said...

Seems like you've picked a lot of my breakfast favorites. Mind if I swing up that way? =)

Thanks, too, for sharing the recipes. Always appreciated!

~ Leah

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Sounds great. Good luck!

Meredith said...

Looks like a winning menu! Good luck!

Katie said...

I'm sure you will be a wonderful hostess!! The selections you have picked sound wonderful. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie:

Your menu sounds GREAT! I'm sure all will be lovely.

I'll be thinking of you.

I love you, Grandma

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Sounds yummy! I hope it goes well!

Ewokgirl said...

That recipe with the bread sounds fabulous!

Liisa said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes. I am anxious to try them both and they couldn't have come at a better time as we are planning a ladies breakfast at our church!

Blessings,
Liisa

Lisa said...

Sounds yummy! I'm sure everyone will appreciate it and it's a great way to get to know the new prez :) Enjoy!

Amy said...

It sounds delicious! I have had that recipe for those rolls bookmarked forever and had planned to make them for Christmas morning (until we came down with the stomach flu). Glad to hear everything went smoothly!

PS- I answered your question in an entry. Hope it helps!!

jennwa said...

They both looks so yummy. I love new recipes.