Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Muffins and pita and burritos, oh my!

I've tried several good recipes this week and wanted to share:

Carol's easy pita bread (Truly easy, as the recipe suggests--I lightly brushed them with olive oil before baking at the suggestion of a friend)

Poppy seed chicken (Warning: This is delicious, but it's not very healthy, so eat sparingly, and with lots of veggies!)

Cinnamon apple burrito (hat tip to Edi for providing a healthier version of this recipe; this dessert was made even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

Peanut butter banana muffins (from that "sneaky veggie" cookbook--I don't usually like the pb-banana combo, but these are yummy, and my son loves them!)

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. natural peanut butter
1/2 c. carrot or cauliflower puree (I used sweet potato)
1/2 c. banana puree
1 large egg white
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

The book gives much more detailed instructions, but since I'm not a recipe purist, I just dump everything in a bowl and mix well. Bake in greased pan at 350 for 15-20 min. A single batch made 10 muffins for me instead of the 12 it indicated.

By the way, thanks for the comments on your favorite spices--I've found your lists fascinating!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have liked the pita pockets ~ I'd like to try making those. We had the poppy seed chicken at Monica's. :) How long did it take to make these muffins (including making the purees)? Love you, Mom

The Stepford Wife said...

I have that cookbook too! Mr. Stepford tried making the meatloaf from that book with disasterous results... :-/ I may have to give her book another shot. :)

Just Jenny said...

Thank you for sharing. I desire to change my cooking habits. I am not that great in the kitchen. But want to start preparing better, healthier meals.

jennwa said...

Those muffins look good, They look like a great way to sneak in veggies.

Susan said...

the muffins sound yummy. Will have to try this! Too bad I used the muffin pan to organize my drawers like your sister suggested on her website;)

Amy said...

That poppy seed chicken is a favorite in our house too :) I love it! Homemade pitas are so great- I need to make another batch...you are making me hungry :)

Liisa said...

I am still on the waiting list at the library for that book but am going to be trying these muffins! My little monkey's will just love them!

I made pita brad using the bread maker and was shocked at how easy it really was...I was so excited to see that they actually had the pocket inside!

Blessings,
Liisa

Kathleen Marie said...

Oh, they all sounds wonderful especially the burrito! Thanks bunches!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

I just made that Poppy Seed Chicken recipe the other day - sinful! Can't wait to try your other suggestions.

Jamie said...

Oh I am excited I think I have everything on hand to try making those muffins! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jamie said...

Update - I already made the muffins and tried one! I used cauliflower puree. Mine needed a little longer to cook for some reason. They are very good though! Luke is taking a super long nap...when he wakes up he is in for a treat! :-)