Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Eggs-periment

My husband covered farm chores for some friends who were out of town this weekend, and his tasks included collecting eggs. He brought home a few beautiful tan and light blue eggs--what a treat!

I told Eric I wanted to conduct an eggs-periment, a taste test between a farm egg and a "commercial" egg to see if he could tell the difference. I didn't use any seasonings, and I whisked each with just a hint of milk. The proof was in the color alone. I was shocked at how vibrantly yellow the farm yolk was, and it was easy to see they were not the same. Eric guessed correctly, though he admitted they tasted pretty similar. Nonetheless, it was interesting to compare them side by side.

Along with the scrambled eggs, I attempted (like Amy) to overcome one of my domestic fears: pancakes. I know, some of you are probably re-reading that sentence, and that's OK. But it's true. I always make waffles, because I lack the confidence of a pancake flipper. Last night's supper illustrated why. I did consider taking a picture of my pitiful cakes, but then thought better of it. My first outpouring of batter nearly met in the center of the griddle, and I remembered instantly why the wafflemaker is a girl's best friend. Waffles don't need much tending, and you don't have to hover trying to decide whether they've bubbled enough to give 'em a flip. Eric smirked several times throughout the meal, making jokes about the amoebic shapes I'd cooked up. But hey--they still tasted good! And the point, after all, is that I tried, right?!

If, for some strange reason, you're remotely interested in making pancakes after my little story, here's the recipe I used, a multi-generational favorite of my husband's family.

Swedish pancakes

2 eggs, beaten
2 c. milk
1 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Mix together. Batter will be very runny, so runny that you will question adding another entire cup of flour. However, that will cause an even bigger mess than following these instructions, so resist the urge. Bake on preheated griddle at 400. Try this at your own risk!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting "eggs-periment!" :)

Sorry to hear about the pancake escapade. My nemesis has always been spaghetti sauce. Over the years, I've tried dozens of recipes and never found one that turned out right. I now buy Ragu without guilt!

Thanks for sharing E's family Swedish pancake recipe. I remember enjoying those when we visited.

Love you, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Hey Carrie - Swedish pancakes are really supposed to make one big pancake that is really thin right? Perhaps if you tried a more traditional thick batter - it would be more successful?

I've always wanted to have those beautiful farm eggs - so glad you posted about the eggs-periment!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I loved eating farm fresh eggs while visiting my grandparents. I thought they always looked and tasted better.

Don't feel bad about the pancakes. I am hit or miss on pancakes. I don't know why since I do it the same way each time. At least I feel like I do.

BTW... I received the lotion sample. I haven't tried it yet, but it is on my kitchen counter so I will try it soon. Thank you!

mer said...

We collected eggs for our neighbors over Christmas, and I agree...they're way more colorful and we think they're definitely more tasty!

Keep working on the pancakes...you'll get better and more confident with time, and like your sis, I was thinking swedish pancakes are supposed to be really thin, sorta like crepes?! I have an excellent buttermilk pancake recipe I'll send you!

Anonymous said...

Are you interested in sharing your waffle recipe? I am the exact oppossite - I will make pancakes every day of the week, but waffles are once a year after much begging from my family. Any hints? I'd like to become friends with my waffle maker!

Barbara

Frances said...

And that's why my husband does most of the pancake-making in our house. He takes great pride in his pancakes - and I'm the grateful beneficiary!

When I make pancakes they are always amoeba or kidney-shaped. I figure I'm being efficient by fitting two in the frying pan rather than one small circle in the middle. My husband shakes his head at them.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
When I make my buttermilk pancakes I seperate the egg yolks and the whites. After I mix everything up I beat the egg whites and then fold into the pancake mix. It makes the pancakes light & fluffy.

I don't know if you could do that with your Swedish pancake receipe.

Blessings,
Devonne, ID

Mary Ann said...

We've discovered the same thing with the farm fresh eggs. The color is so much brighter!

I had a pancake-phobia for years. I hated the flipping part. What helped me was trying a thicker muffin type batter with oats and stuff in it. Now I do regular pancakes with no problem, but it really is easier to use a thicker batter. Thin pancakes are horrible to try to flip let alone get to a nice round shape. I use a 1/4 cup to measure and pour each pancake which also helps the looks of them. :-)

Jamie said...

You know that is so funny...I've just been thinking lately that I wish I had some chickens..what with the cost of eggs going up! How nice you got to have some of the eggs to bring home! If I lived in the country I think I would look into getting a few chickens! :-) Maybe someday! If you try the dishes thing, let me know how it goes!

Katie said...

Thanks for the recipe!! We'll have to try it. We are a pancake family here ~ but have never tried Swedish ones. :-)

One of our good friends sells eggs from their home. They have several chickens and occasionally I'll get eggs from them. They are a lot darker and taste a bit different, but I think I prefer them for various reasons.

Thanks for sharing about your "eggs-periment" ~ you're so creative!

*carrie* said...

Thanks, everyone, for your support of my sad pancakes. It's true that Swedish pancakes are particularly runny; however, my husband's family are all experts at making nice round ones. In fact, my father-in-law takes shape requests! I'm sure part of it is that old adage that practice makes perfect!

Barbara, I would be happy to share my waffle recipe and will post it soon.

A, B & C said...

I'd love to try your pancakes, since they are one of my favorite things to eat. I admit, I'm not much of a pancake flipper, so mine are really oddly shaped too! If I make them anytime soon, I'll take a picture to share so you don't feel bad! :-)

Amy A. said...

If you overstir your pancake mix you can get a real mess, too. Pancake batter should be a little stiff and doesn't need all the lumps whisked out. I think you should go ahead and try to add more flour, you might meet with better success.

Wouldn't it be funny if all these hand me down recipes really had an ingredient missing and we keep experiencing frustration over someones favorite recipe through no fault of our own?

Ewokgirl said...

I hate making pancakes for the same reasons. I finally found a recipe that I really like because it's not too runny. I got it from an issue of Martha Stewart Living.

I'm a waffle girl, too.