Monday, March 17, 2008

Green day

Here's the menu for tonight: Monica's broccoli chicken lasagna, Irish bread, and a fabulous dessert which I posted below, topped with green M+Ms. These bars always receive rave reviews--enjoy!

M+M Dream Bars

2 c. quick oats
1 T. baking soda
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. melted butter
1/3 c. peanut butter
1 c. plain M+Ms

Combine oats, sugar, soda, flour and butter. Mix until moistened. Reserve 1 1/2 cups. Press remaining mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Combine condensed milk and peanut butter until blended, and spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs, chocolate chips and M+Ms. Bake another 20 minutes. Cool and cut. Note: These can easily overbake, so it's best to keep checking them at the end.

An Irish blessing: May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home. May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam. May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures. May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!

14 comments:

A, B & C said...

I love St. Patrick's Day... it's the day I found out I was pregnant with Love Bug. Anyway, I hope you have a great one- your menu sounds fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day -- great menu! :) Love you, Mom

Amy said...

What a great picture- green suits him :) Your Irish meal sounds so yummy!!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

I can't wait to try these!!

mer said...

YUM! I want to make those dream bars today, and I have everything but the m&m's.

I'm bookmarking your recipe though...perhaps that would be a good dessert to make for Bunco later this week!

Katie said...

How creative and fun Carrie!

Your little man is so cute and blessed to have you as a mommy! :-)

Have a blessed "Green Day"!
~Katie

thehomespunheart said...

Your menu sounds great - I have never tried your M&M bars, but think I might mix up a batch this afternoon.

Cute little N too!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Sounds delish! Happy St. Patty's Day!

jennwa said...

Those M&M bars sound great.

Anonymous said...

Adorable! I want to kiss those little cheeks! Sounds like a fun St. Patty's Day for you! Enjoy the yummy food!

-Kendra

Lisa said...

I remember that recipe from the Luvin' From The Oven cookbook we did my first year in N. Hall! Soooo yummy!!

Nathan is ADORABLE in this picture!!

Ewokgirl said...

Super cute picture!

Anonymous said...

Is that the sweatshirt that Erin gave Nathan? Love it! Love the Irish blessing too - how inspiring. Talk to you soon!

Love,
Mandi

Susan said...

Oh my goodness, I forgot it was St Patricks day!