Monday, March 10, 2008

Home

A couple of months ago, I made a little banner so that the word HOPE hangs prominently in my kitchen. Yesterday I changed the "p" to an "m." Home.

Change has always been difficult for me, and while I am excited about our upcoming transitions, I'm also anxious about the details. (Yes, Lord, I know You tell us to cast all our cares upon You and to be anxious for nothing but submit our requests to You--so please help me do that!) The process of searching for a new home has been difficult. Living in a small town, our options are quite limited, which in some ways can be a good thing. But there is also less selection, particularly in a certain price range. Of our four top options, two recently sold, one was just taken off the market, and the 4th (our favorite) has so far resulted in our rejected first offer. So I'm feeling sort of antsy about the whole thing. I know the Lord will provide, but it's easy to wonder how? and when?

In my recent retreat, I came across this verse from Psalms 127:1a: "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain." While we are not literally building a house, this verse reminds me--comforts me--that I need to surrender this process to Him. I need to remember this place (the world) is not my true home anyway, and also that if my family is together under one roof, we can make any structure a home.

11 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - neat idea to switch one letter and have it be another word that is meaning a lot to you right now! I'm praying for you and Eric for wisdom and just the right house!

mer said...

Carrie, you always encourage and inspire me. I needed the reminder today that any structure can be a home, as long as we're together.

Mom2fur said...

I like that letter switch! It's good to think positively. Have you made another offer on that house? The way the market is, the seller might be willing to negotiate with you.
The other possibility is that God has something even better in mind for you. Maybe a house will show up on the market that wasn't there a few days ago, and it will have your name written all over it!

jennwa said...

Looking for a new house can been difficult. We have moved a lot and even though we have gone through some rough spots, it has ALWAYS worked out for the best. Sometimes it is difficult to see that while going through the whole ordeal.
Hang in there and the perfect house will come along.

Have a great Monday.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

We looked at tons of houses before we found the one meant to be our home. Hang in there!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Great post!! I'll be praying along with you. I know we are in a time of transition which I'm hoping to post about next week and it's been really hard for me to wait on God. But I know as always, when I finally get to look back at this year that God will have revealed himself in the most amazing way and I will think...now why was I anxious. Anyways, my way of saying I'm thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Great insights! I know you have very few memories of all of our moving around during your young childhood, but one of the things I learned about myself (and maybe women in general) during that time was that I am a "nester" -- it was the transition that was the hardest for me -- the not knowing when or where we would be moving, the disruption of our home comforts in our old house, the upheaval and unsettling days of moving. I never had trouble making our new residence our home because as you point out, anywhere we were all together was home. You're in my thoughts and prayers as you prepare for this move! Love you, Mom

A, B & C said...

It's great that you made a first offer. They will hopefully eventually accept one of your offers, it will work out, and God will provide the perfect home for you. In the meantime, I'm praying for your future new home!

Niki RuralWritings said...

The right one will turn up, don't fret :)
Blessings,

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie:

I know this is a difficult time for you. I have been praying daily for God to lead you & Eric to just the right house He has for you. I know He will, so combine those 2 focus words: Continue to have HOPE for the right house and I know you will make it a HOME for your family.

Love you, Grandma

Katie said...

Carrie,

I will be praying for you during this time of transition.

I love that verse in Psalms you referred to ~ our Pastor preached on that verse alone for several weeks! Such a wonderful truth and challenge.

I am in whole-hearted agreement that anywhere is home when your loved ones are all together.

I will pray that this whole process from start to finish will help you to treasure the memories you've made at the home your currently in and also to help your whole family draw closer together as you move into the next place the Lord has in store for you.

Blessings!!
Katie