Friday, March 14, 2008

Some observations

I think of myself as an observant person. It doesn't mean something can't slip past me, but I do have a pretty keen eye. When Mer recently challenged her readers to find a subtle change on her blog, I was determined to figure it out. She even offered a prize to the first person to guess correctly! She gave a hint in the form of a link and when I opened it, I immediately noticed she had a new URL. I know it's strange, but I often look at people's URLs, even when it's a blog I visit daily! I have no idea why I do this, but it paid off this time. Mer sent me a care package full of fun goodies, including two fabric grocery sacks (you know me well, Mer--thanks!), and even a book and DVD for my son. Woo-hoo!

To further explain my quirky observances, I will tell you that while we were dating, my husband got a big kick out of making little changes in my decor while I was out of the room to see if I would notice (which of course, I did). On certain shelves (not all of them, just certain ones like the mantle), I have arranged items and frames at precise angles that I think are the most flattering.

For example, here's the *correct* angle for this little angel:

Not quite right:


Nope, still not right:


Ah, that's better.
Anyone else have this disease--I mean--fascinating personality trait?!

13 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Um, perhaps this runs in the family?! I feel like I am very observant and notice when things are not back the way they should be - which seems rare these days! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree that this trait runs in the family! :) This attention to detail can be a blessing -- it comes in handy in my work since I do a lot of proofreading. And sometimes it can net you a fun prize -- congratulations! Love you, Mom

Krista said...

I do that sort of thing too, though not always with knickknacks. I notice when words and relationships are out of place.

And Monica, you and my mom got along so well in the office partly because of that attention to precision. It's a good quality, people!

Katie said...

Carrie....too funny! :-) I'll send you a more detailed email about my experience!

Have a great weekend!
Katie

NeedANap2 said...

Congratulations!! Our oldest is VERY observant. When my husband bought a new pair of tennis shoes, I told him to wear them but not say anything. Our oldest noticed right away.

I used to always notice when people had their fly unzip*ed. Something seemed out of place. But that could sometimes be embarrassing!! :)

Lisa said...

Oh carrie, this is great! So you :)

Overby Family said...

I echo exactly what you said in those pictures. The little things actually do make a difference, don't they? Sometimes when these things are "not right" it feels like our whole life is out of order.
I hope all is well in your home now.

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

I am NOT very observant at all. I never remember a face or visual things...but remember almost ANYTHING someone has said to me. My husband on the other hand is extremelly observant.

mer said...

Hi Carrie...

I wish I was more observant than I am. I do have a certain way I like things in my house, and when something isn't in order, I can be weird about it. Just last week I showed my husband how I like one of my cabinets organized. He didn't really appreciate my intentions, but I'm thankful he's been putting things where they go!

Glad you liked your stuff....it was fun!

Meredith

A, B & C said...

Oh, I have that problem as well! I love having my knick knacks and picture frames just right!

I collect Willow Tree angels and figurines. Is the Angel of Learning your only one or do you have others? It's one of my favorites in the collection.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I don't know if I notice everything that is different, but I do notice things in my home that are out of place. When hubby helps with the housework I prefer he not dust. Even though he puts things back in the same place it is not exactly the same place. It drives me crazy!

Rebecca said...

Same problem here. I was just folding towels tonight and they are stacked on an open shelf. I, of course, have to stack them by size because, come on, you can't put a longer one on a shorter one. No one else in my family notices these things. So, I fold the towels :-) Thanks for a humerous post!!

spaghettipie said...

Oh, I am just the opposite. Here's a typical conversation while we're driving through town.
Me: "Oh, look at that new building!"
My sweet, observant husband: "Honey, that's been there for 30 years."
Me: "Well, surely they just painted it or trimmed some trees in front of it?"
Him: "Nope, looks exactly the same as always."

Yeah. Not too observant. So I won't win any contests you post about things being different on your blog.