Tuesday, March 18, 2008

STARTing over

A couple of months ago, I wrote about attending an organizing workshop, and I listed 3 goals I wanted to complete: 1) make a master list of favorite meals to aid my menu planning, 2) use the START method to better organize my son's clothes and 3) do a walk-through organizing assessment of our home.

I completed the first two tasks pretty quickly. The master list is just a handwritten draft, but it's now the cover page of my recipe notebook, and I've been consulting it often as I decide what's for dinner.

As for my son's clothes, I updated his clothing inventory, which has been a wonderful tool as I'm out shopping. I just consult my index cards and I know what we need and don't need in each size.
I saved the biggest job for last. In fact, I had completely forgotten about it until another organizer came to our MOPS meeting last week to talk about cleaning our closets. Well, that got me motivated again to do the assessment. I grabbed a notebook and pen, and walked through each room in our home. Anytime I saw an area (a closet or even a particular shelf) that needed attention, I wrote it down under that room's heading.

Before writing all of this down, I was feeling overwhelmed. But putting each task on paper really helped me see what needs to be done. Now that it's recorded, I don't need to keep thinking about it, and I can always add to the list as more problem areas catch my eye. I came up with 27 (!) drawers, cabinets, etc. that need sorting, and I dove right in that same morning. I clipped the lists to a clipboard, and will consult it as I have time. As we anticipate moving in a couple months, this is my version of spring cleaning.

I'm so glad I got STARTed, and I hope I keep it up! Almost half of the tasks have been completed in this first week--hooray!

8 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - I love this idea and did my walk-through on Friday, I came up with 28 areas! David is going to help me get through them all and asked me to prioritize the list, which I did. It feels good to have the first step done!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

That is a fabulous idea! It feels so good to make something off of a list.

Ewokgirl said...

It feels so good to get stuff cleaned up and organized, doesn't it? I dragged my heels on my craft room for the longest time because I was so overwhelmed by it all, but once I got started, it wasn't so bad!

mer said...

*Ugh* I SO need to walk through my house and make a list of areas to be organized. Things have gotten out of control here lately!

Thanks for the inspiration. Perhaps next week (spring break) I can find some time to do this!

Anonymous said...

Great assignment! I wonder how many things I'll come up with...

I like the idea of making the list -- a great way to START!

Love you, Mom

Katie said...

Thanks for posting about the START method of organization! I just have a bunch of post-its around the kitchen with unchecked boxes of to-dos!! I think I'll give that method a try! :-)

A, B & C said...

I love making lists like this. I do walk-throughs once a year, usually in the autumn, and write things down. It helps me organize and clean out. Once I have everything organized, I focus on cleaning for the Spring months. I do a cleaning walk through and write down trouble spots. For example, "pull out all kitchen appliances and clean underneath". I'll probably do a post on this as some point this Spring.

jennwa said...

We had that talk about cleaning out our closets at MOPS too. I went home and straighten my closet, but it is a mess again.

I love all the organizing you are doing.