Wednesday, March 5, 2008

There's no place like home

Warning: this post will probably be somewhat choppy as I begin processing my trip!

I am so thankful for the time I was able to spend with my dear sister and her family, though I am glad to be home again. I arrived at my house last night about ten minutes before my son's bedtime, so there wasn't much time to get reacquainted. His expression when he saw me after a 5-day absence was one of surprise and uncertainty, and I burst into tears at the sight of him. He looked older somehow, and has even learned some new words since I've been gone!

I left South Carolina wearing flip flops (changing into "real" shoes at the airport) and arrived home to (more!) falling snow. I definitely enjoyed the mild weather while it lasted! I already mentioned I don't enjoy flying, but I will say I appreciated all that reading time--I got through 6 magazines and half a book on my 4 flights (which ended up being on 4 different airlines!) And whenever I passed a mom with a baby or toddler at the airport, I sent up a little prayer on their behalf.

I laughed when my husband asked me if the trip felt like a vacation. I worked hard, harder than I usually do at home. With 2 toddlers and a new baby, there is just always something (many somethings!) that needs to be done. But spending time with Monica is refreshing, so in that way it was a vacation. We laugh a lot, have meaningful conversations, and we love tackling projects together. By the way, we came up with something fun which we'll announce on the first day of spring--so be watching for details! I look forward to catching up on all your posts in the next couple of days!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Love you, Mom

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

So glad to hear your trip went well!!

thehomespunheart said...

Yeah - you're home safely! A vacation?! Surely he was kidding...

Thank you so much for all of your help and friendship - it lifts a burden to share life's moments with ones we love!

I'm thankful for you!

Amy said...

Ha! I had to laugh at the vacation comment. That sounds like my hubby :)

I am glad you had a safe trip and also managed to squeeze in some reading time too.

Great pictures!

Just Jenny said...

It sounds like it was a fun trip for you to go on. Loved seeing all the wonderful pictures. Samuel is a doll. Glad your flights worked out.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Welcome home! I am glad that you had a wonderful time with Monica. Enjoy giving N lots of extra hugs today!

Liisa said...

Glad to hear you made it home safely and had a good trip!

Blessings,
Liisa

Ewokgirl said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Your nieces and nephew are cute.

Sarah B. B. said...

What cute cousins your son has! I'm glad you arrived home safely, and at least you got to enjoy the gorgeous weather we had over the weekend in this part of the world. :)

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

So glad you had a wonderful trip. I have felt the same way before. I was only gone a couple of days, but it really seemed my kids had grown! Those reunions are the best!

Steve & Molly said...

Glad you had a safe trip and enjoyable time with your sis! An answer to prayer.

Thands for the suggestion of using the vacuum for my dilema, but there is one problem...with no carpet here, we have no sweeper! :) Too bad, would've been MUCH easier! Ha ha! I went for the knock it down and smash it on the tile option. Just glad there was no video camera taping it at the time! :)

Susan said...

So glad you had a good trip and home. Isn't it amazing how fast toddlers grow?

The kids are just precious. Cannot wait to see what ideas you have coming up.

Leanne said...

Welcome home, Carrie!
Maybe next time you and Monica can go on a SPA getaway....
when you do, take me, take me!!
I love the picture!!

Anonymous said...

Precious pictures!

SO thankful you are home safely.
I know you had a good time with Monica and Family.

Love, Grandma

MamaGeek said...

Wow, what a wonderful time! And those pictures just totally melt my heart. SOooo sweet Carrie!

Gift of Green said...

Glad you had a great time! I can't wait for flip flop weather!

The Stepford Wife said...

Welcome back home!

Can I tell you how your trip made me want to go fly and visit my sister? :)