Monday, April 7, 2008

Life in the fast lane

"Slow down, you move too fast. You've got to make the morning last. Just skippin' down the cobblestones. Lookin' for fun and feelin' groovy!" --Simon and Garfunkel

"Have patience, have patience. Don't be in such a hurry! When you get impatient, you only start to worry." --from The Music Machine

Sometimes I catch myself rushing to get places (especially when I'm late) or hurrying tasks to move on to the next. I have been noticing this in myself and want to slow down and be more mindful in my work.

I found this little survey in a back issue of Real Simple and found it quite interesting.

Rate how well each of the following sentences describes you--perfectly (2), somewhat (1), or not at all (0)--then add up your answers to find out if you're moving too fast for your own good.

I always eat too fast.
I talk rapidly.
I often put words into other people's mouths.
I find it frustrating if people speak too slowly.
I almost always feel pressed for time.
I don't like to linger over a meal.
I often feel harried at work.
I often push the "close door" button on elevators.
I can feel my blood pressure climb in slow checkout lanes.
I follow the car in front of me closely when driving.
I sometimes push the "walk" button at intersections repeatedly.
I get very frustrated when people are late.
I often do two things at once to save time.
I get restless if I have to sit still.
I feel as if I am wasting time if I do only one thing at a time.
I get crazy when people ahead of me are walking too slowly.

Scoring:
24-32: Your fast ways are very likely compromising your health and well-being.
16-23: You're a borderline speedaholic. You'd enjoy life more if you dialed back.
0-15: Bravo! You're taking life at a moderate pace.

So, what was your score? When do you most catch yourself in a hurry?

12 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

18 - as I suspected, somewhere in the middle - but still on the edge of too fast. Lots to consider here - loved the quotes at the beginning.

Anonymous said...

8-I'm surprised I scored this low, since I rarely sit down.:-)

I feel the most hurried around lunchtime when the kiddos are tired and hungry and screaming because lunch isn't arriving fast enough.

I did have to laugh at your second quote. I grew up singing this song and now I sing it to the kiddos while preparing lunch. It keeps us all(especially me) in a better frame of mind!

-Mary Ann

Katie said...

17 ~ I thought my score would be much higher than that ~ as I read this I felt so convicted!! I've actually been quite burdened about this lately, so thanks for sharing this post! I find myself being rushed for church, appts, ~ I think I need better prioritization and preparation of my time. It's discipline!!

I was so convicted especially in the statements where you feel like you have to be doing more than one thing at a time...aren't women expected to multitask?? :-)

I often feel like a cartoon I've seen of a mother who is holding an infant, cooking dinner, answering a telephone, and doing as much as she can all at once.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

16 - I think that "you'd enjoy life more if you dialed back" is so perfect for me.

Contentment and simply are two words that are on my heart at the moment.

Thanks for sharing - this was fun!

Carrie said...

I scored a 20, which was surprising. I was sure I'd score the highest possible LOL
God bless :)

Amy said...

I am a 20, but I do want to say that I am working on this. I am trying to think more about enjoying the moment, the quiet, the special time with my kids. I don't really want to be as high-strung as I have been.

Awesome post!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I was a 23! I guess I definitely need to slow down!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

18- I'm lower than I thought. I'm the queen of multi-tasking and seeing how many things I can juggle at once - but I think you have to be if you're a mom. :) Fun post!

Simply Heart And Home said...

Borderline speedaholic! That was an interesting quiz. I would like to slow it down more! Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,

Gina

Anonymous said...

21 -- but I'm sure if I had taken this quiz a few years ago, I would have scored even higher -- so I think I'm making some progress! Good reminder -- thanks for sharing. Love you, Mom

Natalie Witcher said...

7 - I knew I wasn't too much of a hurried person. BTW- LOVE that you used the Music Machine! I sing that song a lot!

Ewokgirl said...

I'm a 13. I'm usually a SAHW (I just tutor in the spring), and I have no kids. I generally have plenty of time to deal with stuff. I like a slow-paced life. In fact, I'm a terrible multi-tasker, so I don't even try. If you call me on the phone, I'll talk to you and do nothing else at the same time.