Thursday, April 10, 2008

Make your own mix: chai

I recently asked for advice on what to make with some exotic spices I'd received: star anise, cardamom pods, whole cloves, and whole nutmeg. A couple of commenters suggested making chai. I found a couple of on-line recipes and experimented with making my own concoction. Here's what I came up with, should you have these unique ingredients on hand:

1 T. turbinado (or regular) sugar
6 black peppercorns
3 whole cloves
3 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 t. grated nutmeg
2 bags Earl Grey or darjeeling tea

Combine all ingredients, along with 2 c. water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and add 1/2 c. milk; heat until warmed. Serves two--a mug for you and one for a friend!

10 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! Homemade chai tea!! Yum! How neat to serve and let them know you made it! Thanks!

thehomespunheart said...

Yum! Can I come over for a cup? :)

A, B & C said...

That sounds great! We have some pretty exotic spices too, so I'll have to see if we have everything for this recipe. Thanks!

Niki RuralWritings said...

Was is nice? Sounds like it should be.

Susan said...

Sounds divine!

Susan said...

Sounds divine!

jennwa said...

I love Chai!! Thanks for the recipe.

MamaGeek said...

I love this Carrie, not only because it sounds GOOD, but because it seems EASY to make too!

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to see peppercorns in the list of ingredients for chai -- I checked my "store-bought" chai ingredient list -- no pepper, but other things that probably are comparable. I look forward to sampling this homemade version! :) Love you, Mom

Katie Gregg said...

YUM! I love chai. This sounds delicious!