Thursday, April 3, 2008

Recycling basics

I recently came across a list explaining the numbers on the bottom of plastic containers, and thought it was helpful information. This is taken from Real Simple--click here for the rest of the article:

Wondering about the little numbers on your milk container? They identify what the container is made of — and what it will be in its next life.

1 PET (polyethylene terephthalate): Soda bottles; recycled into pillow fill.
2 HDPE (high-density polyethylene): Plastic milk bottles, detergent bottles; recycled into new detergent bottles.
3 PVC (polyvinyl chloride): Take-out boxes, shampoo; recycled into drainage and irrigation pipes.
4 LDPE (low-density polyethylene): Grocery bags, shrink wrap; recycled into new bags.
5 PP (polypropylene): Yogurt containers, bottle caps; recycled into plastic lumber.
6 PS (polystyrene): Packing peanuts; recycled into plastic lumber, cassette-tape boxes.
7 Other: Includes squeezable ketchup bottles and microwavable dishes; these items can’t be recycled.

It's interesting to see what happens with these products if we take the time to recycle! Do you know which plastics you can recycle in your area? Unfortunately, our drop-off only collects 1-4.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

my town takes 1-7, but no glass

tas

Anonymous said...

Until recently, we could only recycle plastics 1-2, but the last time I dropped off our recyclables, I noticed that they now accept 1-7! That makes less for the landfill! :) Love you, Mom

Mary Ann said...

I need to check our town's website and see if they have any specifics. I've been recycling it all(curb side bin) and they always take everything but corrugated cardboard.

I've been reading a lot about the possible dangers of plastics leaching chemicals into food lately, so I've been paying lots of attention to the different numbers on each piece.

BTW-I've started blogging again! Feel free to stop in and say hello!

Anonymous said...

Our town is just starting the RecycleBank program. They issue each home a big blue cart on wheels that contains a computer chip. When the recyclables are emptied (by a truck with arms), the contents are weighed. Based on how much I recycle, I earn vouchers for local businesses.
Can you believe that many people in my town still do NOT recycle?
Angie

Katie said...

I just looked into these numbers too when I was researching all that safety stuff with BPA. Thanks for posting about it for others to learn too! I believe our city takes 1-6, but I still need to verify.

A, B & C said...

We're lucky that they take everything here. I knew these numbers but it's great to see everything they can be recycled into!
Great post!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

We are able to recycle all plastic, glass, newspapers, magazines and metal. I am hopeful that soon we can recycle cardboard. Very interesting finding out what happens once we recycle.

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

That is interesting!

mer said...

Awesome list!

I am a little curious about #6 plastic being recycled into cassette tape boxes. Do people still buy cassette tapes?????

dumptrucksandteacups said...

Hi Carrie,
Thanks for visiting my blog. It was nice to "meet" you!
You have one very cute little one!
What a great post... very interesting!

Blessings. Carrie

Ewokgirl said...

That's really interesting! I can't remember offhand which numbers our recycling center takes. The city sends out a notice every year with a list of what can and cannot be recycled. That stays on our fridge so I can check it when necessary.

Carrie said...

Hmm. That's pretty interesting information. I did not know that. Thanks for sharing!