Friday, April 4, 2008

Spring reading challenge

I just completed my local library's spring reading challenge. Here is what I read (click on links for my personal thoughts and reviews):

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by B. Kingsolver
Serve God, Save the Planet by M. Sleeth
Frugal Luxuries by T. McBride
Eat, Pray, Love by E. Gilbert
A Light in the Window and These High Green Hills by J. Karon--I am captivated by this sweet series!
Idol Eyes by Mandisa
Living Simply by J. Heim
Grace Eventually by A. Lamott--not my favorite work by Lamott
Summer Snow by N. Baart (The sequel to After the Leaves Fall--As with the last book, it took me a little while to get into the story, but once I did I had a hard time putting it down!)
Mom to Mom by E. Morgan (a MOPS book)
Into the Wild by J. Krakauer (This was a re-read. We recently saw the movie and I wanted to go through the book again because it is such a haunting true story!)

My goal was to read 12 books, and that's what I did exactly. Having a deadline definitely motivated me to stick to my list. I did substitute a couple books from my original list. My husband advised me against reading A Thousand Splendid Suns after having read it himself, and I obliged. The second omission was The Jane Austen Book Club because I found other titles I was more excited to read, after finding out more about the storyline.

14 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Wow! What a great accomplishment! I'm so glad you are enjoying the Mitford series! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle myself after reading your recent review - definitely some eyeopening information! I'm so glad you are enjoying the Mitford books! Are you going to start a new reading list? Love you, Mom

Jody said...

What did you think of Eat Pray Love? I heard a few interviews with the author and wasn't impressed by her.

Katie said...

Thanks for posting your list! I love reading your book reviews! I am planning a book review soon too!

Have a great weekend!

Jamie said...

I just read "Into the Wild" not too long ago myself. What an amazing story it was. I haven't seen the movie yet, I wasn't sure if I could handle it!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I loved the Mitford series. I didn't start reading it until the first couple of books were out but after that, I couldn't wait for the next one.

I liked Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It was a little hard to get through at times since I had to read it fast (took too many books out of the library at once).

I need to put Serve God, Save the Planet on my list.

gail said...

that's great! i remember the days when i had lots of time to read. now i tend to read blogs! hee hee

i'm having a contest over at my blog to commemorate my 100th post. i'm giving away a few books so come check it out.

gail

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Congrats on meeting your goal!

mer said...

Don't you love looking at a list of something you've accomplished? I think it is a great visual reminder that you've used your time wisely.

I think I recommended A Thousand Splendid Suns to you. I really enjoyed it, but I strongly disliked The Jane Austen Book Club. LOL! And I still haven't read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle in it's entirety, though I did a very good job of skimming through it!

Have a great weekend!

A, B & C said...

Good for you! I wanted to ask you about a few of them so I'll email you later. I love to read- I'm reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. I expected slow going on this one, but I can hardly put it down. Keep us updated on the books you're enjoying.

Ewokgirl said...

I haven't read the Mitford series, but I have the Mitford cookbook, and it is fabulous! Southern food at its best!

Do you mind saying why your husband said not to read A Thousand Splendid Suns? I loved The Kite Runner.

I'm still going to tell you that you should really read something by Chaim Potok. His writing is a thing of beauty, and it really makes you think about faith and humanity.

jennwa said...

Great job on meeting your goals. I feel good when I read my one book a month for my book club.

Amy said...

You should be SO proud of yourself. That is a huge accomplishment. I am still working on my lists. I started using GoodReads.com- do you use that? It helps me remember what I need to read and what I have finished.

Hayley said...

You know me....I'm more of a TV/Movie watcher than a reader. But, once again, you've inspired me to turn the TV off, and start reading. How long did you have to read the 12 books? I need a time frame, or I'll never EVER finish!