Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Testimony

Do you remember two years ago when a group of college students were in a terrible highway accident in Indiana, and two of the women (Laura Van Ryn and Whitney Cerak) were mistakenly identified for each other? I recall the night of the crash very well, because my brother-in-law is a student at the same university and called to tell us what had happened. (If you're not familiar with this incident, click here.)

Though I do not know these families personally, my sister-in-law was a former roommate of Laura's, and some of our dear friends have been close to the Ceraks for many years. So I've taken a more vested interest in the story as it unfolded--it's truly unbelievable.

Last week I watched several interviews of the Cerak and Van Ryn families, and the story continues to haunt me. So much raw emotion, and such a testimony of their belief in God and His sovereignty. I hope you will have a chance to see these families share more of their experience and to challenge you by their strong faith--they'll be here tomorrow afternoon.

9 comments:

Amy said...

I actually watched a Dateline special the other night about that and even talked to my girlfriend on the phone about how completely unbelievable it was.

They looked so similar- I could see how the confusion could happen. My heart just broke for the families that they had to endure such a roller coaster ride.

Jamie said...

I know, it was just an incredible story. My brother-in-law was also going to school there, actually he still is. I had a friend who watched the dateline special and was telling me more about it. What a wonderful testimony it is!

Katie said...

Carrie,

I just heard about this!! I don't really know all that much about it yet, but I've heard quite a few things about it. I'd like to learn more. Thanks for the link.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Since I live in Indiana this was a big part our news for a long time. My heart just broke as I watched this unfold.

A great example of what true faith is!

carrie224 said...

I remember hearing about that accident on the local news. And then one of my girlfriends was telling me about that Dateline special that was on a few nights ago.

It's so horribly sad. And just plain unbelievable!

God bless :)

Christie Todd said...

I would really appreciate your input on what your top 10 fears are. I am seeking info for a book I am writing on overcoming fear.
Thank you
Christie Todd

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I remember this. One of the girls from our church attends that college. It was huge news around here for awhile.

It seemed more like a Hollywood movie than real life. Both families involved were so loving.

debra said...

I watched them on Oprah today and it is an amazing story. The one thing that really struck me was how much grace both of these families showed. It was really an eye opening thing to watch. Thanks for reminding us of this.

Jody said...

Like Debra I saw it on Oprah- and while I noticed the amazing grace of both families I notice OPrah a bit more. I don't think she can say God... (I posted on it)