Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Time's up!

Not too long ago, I realized I wasn't being as productive around the home as I wanted to be (and as I feel I should be). As one specific way to aid my goal of getting more done, I decided I needed to be more disciplined about the amount of time I spend on the computer. It's so easy, isn't it, to get sucked in by clicking around?!

My new tool is my kitchen timer, which I have stationed right next to the computer screen. When it beeps, I'm done. I can't say I like being told when to clear the premises if I'm in the middle of something, but I do think it's been helpful. Blogging is wonderful, but as my mom used to say, "Everything in moderation."

Something else I'm going to implement is taking one weekday off from doing anything blog-related. I've chosen Thursday, aka tomorrow. I'll still check my e-mail but know I'll save a lot of time for other projects if I don't check blogs or post on my own.

Do you/how do you set limits on your computer time? I'm interested to read your comments on this tricky issue!

And speaking of comments, thanks for all your great tips--my husband was also grateful for all the advice you offered! Yesterday was another pop comments post, so a well-utilized (e.g. slightly worn!) copy of both Kids Rooms, etc. and Home Storage & Organizing magazines will soon be on their way to Abbey! (A, please send me your mailing info!)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to set limits on my computer time, too -- especially since I'm on it all day at work! But I don't use a timer since I'm usually on-line in the early morning or late night while Dad is sleeping. The Internet is a great resource, and of course, I love your blogs -- but it can eat up a lot of time. I'm still trying to pursue "everything in moderation!" :) Love you, Mom

Amy said...

We are always on the same wavelength- this is the post I am working on for nex week. I have a lot of trouble with this, but I am trying to do better. I shut my laptop and take periodic breaks from it. It is hard, but necessary. Can't wait to read the responses on this.

Linds said...

This is too funny. I've been thinking about this a lot over the past couple weeks and just this morning before reading your post I thought, I should set my kitchen timer for when I'm online.

I feel like our family is in a time of trying to balance and prioritize write now. We feel like God has been calling us to 'tend our fields' for this season in our life. Meaning taking care of/'weeding'/tending all that he has given us, including our time. This is a timely post for me.

Now off to find the timer!
Linds

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

The timer is a great idea. I lose track of time when I am on the computer! I am going to cut back this summer. I don't want to lose the time I have when my Favorite Boy is home (I usually blog when my daughter is napping, but my son doesn't nap).

gail said...

good post! i hadn't thot of the timer, but i think i'll try it. i do take breaks and shut it down. i tend to be on it in the morning and at night.

Steve & Molly said...

I like your timer idea, think I might need to try that, too! :)

Katie said...

Carrie,

What a great idea! :-) I try to only get on the computer when the kids are sleeping, but there are several days the kids are busy and I hop on to email and such. I'll let you know as I come up with other ideas.

Blessings,
Katie

Julie Anne said...

it appears that the timer is the best idea so far. I really need to start using one myself!! I know that I have been spending way too much time on here lately and think that a "fast" from the computer is on tap for soon. I am just having a hard time actually doing it!!

Mary Ann said...

I've been working on discipline in this area, too. I've started turning off the computer for most of the day. It is just too distracting to "quickly check my email all the time". I've started allowing 30 minutes of blogging time at the beginning of the kids' nap time. Then I go do something else, even if it is sitting and resting for a little while. Time just gets away from me when I'm online!I'm hoping this discipline will get easier as I get used to it. It is very hard right now!

Rebecca said...

Good job Carrie! I have found that since I have taken up blogging - it seems to be all consuming. I want to post on a regular basis - but find that I need to put my family first - and the posting will just have to wait. I have thought a lot about shutting the computer down for the day - and check/write my stuff in the morning,night or nap time. I am finding that it does take time away from Little One - and time with him really is precious. I have to agree with your mom - everything in moderation. :)

mer said...

The timer is great, and I also like to play little games with myself. I'll close my laptop and say "okay, I'm not going to open this computer again until I've crossed 3 things off of my list, or until I've folded and put away the laundry". I'm anal enough to stick to it, and usually if I get started on my list, the computer is temporarily forgotten.

However, I've had days that I've spent entirely too much time online, and the biggest reality check is when my daughter tells my husband that "mommy spent all day playing on the computer". Not exactly true, but shaming nonetheless.