- I went downstairs to switch the laundry yesterday and there was more than an inch of standing water in one corner of the basement. The laundry room was even worse--parts of the floor were covered in black gunk! Those of you who've dealt with this before know I'm referring to SEWER problems. Yuk! (The good news is maintenance came over right away and was able to fix the issue, which was cause by expanding tree roots and exacerbated by my laundry day!)
- We received a troubling offer from our new health insurance company. My husband, who hasn't missed work due to illness in over a decade and is the healthiest person I know was given the lowest possible rating. Why? Because he had a knee injury in December. Thus, they decided to write a clause into the offer stating that any future joint injury would not be covered. What?! Being the determined person he is, Eric called the company right away and explained how ludicrous this was. The helpful staff member suggested he write a letter, which he did, along with signed statements from his boss and doctor. (The good news is that they called to say they reviewed our application and the letters and changed Eric's rating. Sometimes it does pay to complain!)
- I've never had any problems with my 2002 Saturn. But the other day when my husband drove in to the garage, a suspicious trail of liquid followed behind. We have a leak in the transmission and can't drive the car until it's been looked at. (Still waiting on the update with this one . . .)
- I've been having a hard time picking out paint colors until Wednesday. I showed the colors I was considering to several people to let them weigh in and then made my decisions. That same evening, Eric came home to say paint may not be necessary anymore. He just found out that the upstairs bedroom walls are all made of plaster, not drywall. Apparently, the surface is quite tricky. They even had a hard time laying wallpaper! So we're kind of on hold with all that until we can get a professional to come look at it. (Also waiting to see what happens with this!)
- And as I mentioned before, we had a computer virus earlier this week that required our entire hard drive to be re-loaded. (The good news is that a friend was able to fix everything, and fairly quickly at that!)
I don't mean for this post to come across as negative or complaining. I'm just often surprised that when it rains, it pours!