Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The dust is settling

You guys are the BEST! I really appreciate everyone who left encouraging comments, and let me know I'm not alone in feeling overwhelmed. Things have definitely gotten better. I think my expectations were definitely too high for that first walk-through, and everything has improved since then. What some of you have dealt with is way worse than the little things we dealt with, so thanks for offering some perspective!


Our new home is beautiful. It's a hundred years old and has gorgeous woodwork and a fabulous front porch. The main floor was move-in ready, which was a huge plus. Our two biggest projects (other than the obvious moving of stuff) have been painting the basement (previously dark wood paneling), which has now been transformed into a cheery blue playroom; and working on Nathan's room. His room previously had 5 layers of wallpaper, with the bottom layer being a musty mauve-colored plaster. Lovely! Extra thanks to Eric and crew for scraping for hours on that yukky stuff!

Today (Wednesday) will be our main re-location day, so it will be awhile now before I'll be able to write an update. We've actually used Nathan's wagon to do some of the moving, just as I joked about earlier, so I'll have to post a picture of that next week. Plus there will of course be some pix of the inside of the house. Thanks for sharing in our journey!

13 comments:

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

I'm glad thing are turning around for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today, Carrie & Eric, as I prepare for my move tomorrow! We're in this thing together!!
I will not have e-mail for a while, now, so will let you know when I am "back in business".
Love you, Grandma

mer said...

Well, it sounds like you are making some good progress!

And how funny to be able to say that you used Nathan's wagon to move stuff! :)

Leah in Iowa said...

Glad things are lookin' up for you both. Moving IS an overwhelming experience, but you'll make great progress this week with your parents and friends there to help you. Can't wait to see the pics!

gail said...

oh i'm so happy for you that things are coming togetgher. this home sounds like a gift from God for your family.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Glad that you are feeling better and that things are coming together.

Linds said...

Yeah! So glad things are not so overwhelming! Look forward to seeing pictures.

Susan said...

Glad all is in the up and up;) Waiting for pix to come soon.

Steve & Molly said...

Yay, I'm glad you are able to see things in a more positive light now! Yes, it can be overwhelming, especially when we have high expectations about something...I know, I do the same thing! Your projects sound fun. They will make such a difference in your house and make it seem more "yours." Don't expect to get everything done and settled too soon. Take your time and do a bit at a time. It's not the end of the world to leave things in boxes for awhile. We have been in our house almost 2 years and still have some things in boxes that are awaiting projects to be finished first. While the waiting is hard sometimes, it will be worth it in the end! Enjoy this journey! :)

Mom2fur said...

Best of luck in your new home! I hope it is the place of many happy moments in the years to come.

Amy said...

I am thinking of you this week. I hope the dust settles quickly!!

Anonymous said...

Oh honey - you're doing great! Can't wait to talk about your new adventure. Wahoo! Love you and miss you LOTS!

Mandi

Nicol said...

The wallpaper!! Oh my! I remember when we were remodeling our house a few years ago and having to remove somuch wallpaper. Our house is 99 years old and that means a lot of old wallpaper. It was no easy task. It will be wonderful once you are finished with it!