Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Garden "co-op"

As several of you have posted about planting your gardens this spring, I've left comments expressing my disappointment that with the timing of the move, a garden didn't make much sense for us this year. Well, as I mentioned recently, our new home is just a block away from our current house. The family of my husband's successor was really excited about having a garden for the first time, but they won't arrive until mid-June and even then will have much work to get settled. Eric had a brilliant idea: why don't we plant and tend the garden, using "their" yard, and then we could split the harvest?


All parties were agreeable to this plan, so Eric planted the past two weekends. Here's what we're hoping for in a few weeks and beyond: onions, potatoes, tomatoes, green and red peppers, squash and lettuce. I'm excited for this year's creative co-op arrangement, though we will of course plant in our own yard next spring. Hooray for garden produce!

By the way, please head over and wish Monica a happy birthday!

14 comments:

Liisa said...

What a great idea! I am so looking forward to our garden again this year which is at a friend's property. My hubby and he work on it together and we share the produce. It works really well for us because to spite having quite a large yard we have no where to put a garden due to the many trees on our property which make it too shady. Still a couple of more weeks until we are able to plant here though.

Blessings,
Liisa

Katie said...

Brilliant idea! Double the blessing. :-) Glad to hear you get to do some gardening!

thehomespunheart said...

Great solution!

Rebecca said...

Fabulous! I wish I had the gardening hand - but don't. I'll read about your produce and head to the local farmer's market. :) I am so happy for your clever solution! :)

Ewokgirl said...

That sounds like a wonderful plan!

I'm attempting a garden this year for the first time ever. I'm not much good at growing things, so we'll see how this works out.

Frances said...

I echo everyone's comments: what a great solution. I'm sure the successor and his family will appreciate the opportunity to ask questions about the job/community/house when you visit to tend the garden or pick up produce.

I look forward to reading about what you make with all those veggies!

A, B & C said...

Sounds wonderful! My husband and I were just sighing last night over how much we would love to have a garden. We do a few herbs, but apartment living generally doesn't produce a lot of produce. :-) Let us know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

This is a win-win solution! Happy gardening! :) Love you, Mom

mer said...

I love the idea of sharing the garden! Brilliant!

Hayley said...

I am looking forward to planting my garden, but am afraid I'll never get that done with all the rain we keep getting. I mainly plant vegetables, and once late July comes, there are generally more weeds than produce. I'm vowing to maintain the garden this year until all is harvested. I'm hoping to plant pumpkins and strawerries this year for the first time! In 2-3 years, I should have a healthy strawberry crop. ;)

Lisa said...

So glad you can have your garden again this year! I need to do a post about mine, it's all ready to go and I will be planting this weekend...cannot wait!!

Anonymous said...

A humorous garden update...

While we were gone in Colorado a couple weeks ago, the maintenance department of the college didn't get the memo that my successor would live in our house. He assumed that the garden would remain empty, and went ahead and planted grass seed in it. We've had a good chuckle about this with the great groundscrew director, and I told him how much I at least appreciated him tilling the garden for us. If you see pictures later on the blog this summer, and the base of the garden appears extra green, well, it will be!

Eric

Amy said...

That is such a wonderful solution- great job!!

Jenn said...

What a wonderful solution ! =)