Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thursday morning

I wanted to share with you something my pastor told us on Sunday--I'll tell it from his point of view to maintain meaning. (This is paraphrased and I changed my pastor's name.)

"When we were in my hometown a few weeks ago, a long-time friend of my mother's pulled me aside and said, 'You know, Jim, your mother and I used to pray together for our kids every Thursday morning.'

'I know,' I said. 'That was really nice of you.'

My mother's friend continued, 'We still do, Jim. We pray for our kids and grandkids every Thursday morning.'

Gulp.

I have to tell you that my favorite time of the week is Thursday morning--and it's when I write my best sermons. How amazing to know that time is being covered in prayer by two women who love the Lord."

This was my feeble attempt at portraying the power this story held for me. I got chills when my pastor told us this wonderful testimony. And it made me wonder, what is my Thursday morning? Am I committed to intentionally praying for my son? I was very convicted that this is an area in which I desire major improvement.

9 comments:

Amy said...

That is INCREDIBLY powerful, Carrie. What a great reminder of how important prayer really is.

mer said...

Wow...how blessed would you feel to know that someone has prayed for you your entire life? Makes me want to do better in regard to my children, my husband, and others. Thanks for sharing such a powerful story!

A, B & C said...

What a great story and a reminder for all of us to not just pray daily, but to take a special time aside for prayer. I usually pray for Love Bug when she's napping. Now I'm wondering what other special times I could devote to praying for others.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Touching story. I am so glad you shared it.

Liisa said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! It has inspired me - I do pray for my son but I think it is wonderful to have a special time set aside to do especially that. I also love the idea of doing this with a friend, you could even do this over the phone.

Blessings,
Liisa

Ewokgirl said...

I appreciate that message. While I do pray for my youth group and my nieces, it's not a regular thing. I do it as I think about it, but I'm often too distracted by the things of life to think about it.

I think I'm going to determine a weekly time to pray deliberately for specific people in my life.

Tarah said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately too. Major improvement is a must.

Nice to meet you too!

Tarah

Anonymous said...

Reading this post makes me realize that I should let you know that I pray for you and your family especially on Wednesday morning. I have prayer cards in my car for each day of the week and use my commute to work time to focus on one "branch" of my family each day. (Of course, I pray for you more often than that -- it's an extra time devoted to just you.)

My list includes Dad on Monday, Monica and family on Tuesday, you on Wednesday, our moms on Thursday, our sisters on Friday, and Brittany and some good friends on Saturday (as I drive between errands).

Since today is Wednesday, I'll be praying for you, E, and N as I drive to work today! Love you, Mom

MasonLeskowitz said...

Hi - I've been enjoying your blog.
A girlfriend told me how touched she was when her mother-in-law confided that since he had been born she(the MIL) had prayed for her son AND for his future wife. This was life long, and my friend said that to begin a marriage like this was really fantastic.
It has inspired me to do the same. I also love the idea of prayer cards in the car! Blogging is a very good thing!