Monday, June 16, 2008

Housewarming

As a token of appreciation for the friends who helped us move, we wanted to have a housewarming party to show them the results of their contributions! We also invited a few (former) colleagues from the college.

I took advantage of our beautiful front porch by serving the refreshments there:

pink lemonade, garnished with lime slices (so pretty!)

apple tarts (so easy--I used these little pastry shells, and filled them with a small scoop of my canned apple pie filling) and brownies, baked in a mini muffin tin (thanks to my sis for that great idea!)

It was fun to visit with friends, and to share our home with them. We've worked really hard these past two weeks to get settled, because today's the first day of Eric's new job!

For having lived in this house less than 3 weeks, we've already hosted close to 50 people for various dinners and the housewarming, plus we have the block party later this week--whew!

I'm so thankful my husband and I share a desire for a ministry of hospitality. Our experience as dorm directors helped shape this, I think. While we were single, we each lived with 100 college students who were in and out of our apartments at all hours of the day. Because of this, having an "open home" policy comes pretty naturally to us, though of course it requires more effort, planning, and flexibility. The rewards are great, though: it's so important to share what God's given us with others--which means our home, food and time!

11 comments:

Mom said...

Thinking of Eric today on his first day on the new job!

Love the photos of your housewarming goodies! :) It is amazing what opportunities for hospitality you have already had in your new home -- can't wait to see and hear about future opportunities!

Love to all, Mom

Niki RuralWritings said...

The food looks lovely. Hospitality is such a huge blessing, especially to the hosts. My husband and I have had so much fun over the years hosting many groups, large and small, along with our friends and family, not to mention the wonderful memories we have and friendships that have developed.

blessings,
Niki

mer said...

I love that you both enjoy opening your home to others. It is such a blessing, both to you and to those you welcome. You're off to a great start, Carrie.

Good luck to Eric on his new job. I hope it goes well today!

Amy said...

That is just wonderful! I can't believe you have already hosted that many people- you have put me to shame ;) I loved how pretty everything looked and what a blessing you already are to your community!

Mom2fur said...

You and your husband seem to be wonderful hosts, and I bet everyone who visits wants to come back again.
Tell your sister that making brownies in a mini muffin tin is brilliant!

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - your food turned out so darling! Hope your weekend went well and that Eric's first day goes well today.

Love you,
Monica

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Everything looks great! I love entertaining on our porch, although it a back porch it is still fun.

Susan said...

Carrie,
Just a lovely set up. I know your guests were blessed! Way to use your gift.
Susan

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

What a nice get together!!

debra said...

Congratulations on your new home. Your housewarming party sounds like fun!

Hope your husband had a good first day!

Debra

Anonymous said...

Look at your cute pictures! Love the lemonade/lime extravaganza! Hope Eric's first day went well!