Monday, June 2, 2008

Impromptu porch party

This house, for me, is truly an example of the verse that says God is able to do immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine (Eph. 3:20). As with everything else my husband and I have been blessed with, we want to be good stewards of this home. I think a piece of that is sharing it with others as opporunities arise. It's just funny that an opporunity "arose" so quickly!

Friday afternoon, just 2 days after Moving Day, I was unpacking clothes upstairs when the doorbell rang. Two friends had stopped by to say hi. I invited them to sit on the porch, and we visited a bit. As we were chatting, a neighbor came over with her baby to welcome us to our new home. Then her husband joined us, as did Eric, Nathan and my brother-in-law. After hanging out for awhile, someone asked what time it was. We realized it was 5:30, which is usually when we eat supper! I had planned to grill out that night, so Eric asked if anyone wanted to join us for the meal. Everyone wanted to stay, so I headed to the kitchen to begin preparations. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have had enough meat on hand for so many people. However, our friends that just moved away had donated the contents of their fridge and freezer to us. Isn't it amazing how God provides? (I have to mention the following irony for those who will remember this story from last summer: our friend that just moved and gave us so many groceries is the same dear friend from the "incident.")

As I chopped lettuce and tomatoes for our spur-of-the-moment picnic, the doorbell rang yet again. A friend who had been on my dorm staff for two years was in town for an interview and had tracked us down so she could say hi as well! It was chaotic, but fun, and I felt so blessed to sit on our beautiful front porch sharing a meal with these old and new friends. I hope it will be the first of many wonderful gatherings in our home!

9 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie,

It was fun to read about how God has already allowed your home to be a blessing to those around you. He provided it and now He will provide opportunities for you to share it. I know it was a lot to have it so soon after moving, though! I'm thankful that your porch is a tool of welcoming those around you.

Love you - Monica

Mom said...

Dear Carrie - it's amazing how quickly an open heart/open home policy can attract friends/neighbors! I knew your new home would provide opportunities for hospitality -- it will be fun to read about the ways that works out. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I didn't know I left something in your fridge last summer! Glad I could help out in the end :) It was good talking to you yesterday - we'll talk more soon!

Linds said...

Yeah for you! How fun! That's a great desire for our home. That it could be a place of fellowship and rest for anyone who stops in. So glad to hear this story!

Susan said...

Carrie,

Must be a lovely porch. That is wonderful to share this blessing.
Susan

Jenn said...

That's great ,glad to hear you had a nice time.

Ewokgirl said...

What a friendly neighborhood! Sounds like y'all had a great evening, and it's even better when you realize that you were prepared for unexpected hospitality.

A, B & C said...

Wow- that sounds like such fun! Another great way to feel at home in a new place is to have friends over. It's fun to welcome people and it adds a special memory of friends gathered at your NEW house.

Amy said...

Oh, I wish I had a big porch. It sounds like a wonderful party and a great start to your new beginning. I am so happy for you guys!