Friday, June 27, 2008

Makeovers

#1
When it comes to "decorating" outdoors, I have little to no knowledge or creativity. So I haven't a clue what to do with a couple areas in our yard that need some attention. The area below was crying out for color, so with the prodding of a friend, I picked out some bright pink flowers--mini impatiens and some smaller petunias called "tiny tunias!" There is lots more that could be done, but this was a nice baby step in the right direction.
#2
I have gone to the same hairstylist for several years, and she always kids me for wanting the same cut every time. Lately, I've been feeling like I needed something shorter and fresh for summer. I didn't really have anything in mind, but I was also nervous because my stylist is much more experimental with hair than I am! I told her I wanted something different, but still low-mainteance and I wanted to be able to pull it back. So here's my cut--I really like it and am glad I decided to try something new! (Granted, it's not a drastic change, but I'm not really a drastic kind of person. The last time I did something crazy and impulsive with my hair, I didn't recognize myself in the mirror and left the salon in tears!)



#3
One of the displaced items from our move was this cabinet, formerly housed in our only bathroom for extra storage. Now we've upgraded to two bathrooms (wahoo!), but there wasn't really a place for it in either one. Though I didn't want to get rid of it, I wasn't sure what to do with it until my mom had a brilliant thought. She suggested I paint it to coordinate with the kitchen and use it as a cabinet for my mugs and tea/hot drink mixes. I loved that idea, and wanted to show you the results! Of course, you're all invited over for tea time. =)

16 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - love all the makeovers! Your cabinet turned out great, your hair looks cute and your flowers are a pretty addition to the yard! Can't wait to see all three in person! :)

mom said...

Wow! These are all great "makeovers!" I never heard of "tiny tunias" -- these are perfect in that spot! The cabinet did turn out very well -- glad it worked out! And I like your new haircut (and I'm glad you like it, too!) -- thanks for sharing! Love you, Mom

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Love your yard, your hair, and especially the cabinet in the kitchen. That turned out SO cute. I *wish* we lived close enough to get together for tea or coffee once a week!

Oh, I'm with you on not being a drastic person up for drastic change. I've basically had the same hairstyle for 10 years! LOL! Hey, it works, why change a good thing.

gail said...

i saw the first pic without seeing the second and thot you were going to say it was your fire pit! but i love the flowers. your cabinet is so neat, what color was it before? your hair cut looks good on you. i wear bangs and wish i could have my hair swept to the side instead. i pull my hair back all the time in the summer so i keep it long enough to do that too. gotta love the low maintenance "do"

ps: can you give us an update on how its going not getting on the computer on thursdays?

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I have been thinking about a new do for my hair also. I am not one to change my hair much, so I am still thinking on it! That length is cute on you.

Love the cabinet! Great way to repurpose an item. And I am a flower lover so I enjoyed seeing you flowers.

Linds said...

Great makeovers Carrie. Love, love, love the cabinet!

Katie said...

Wow Carrie ~ I love all of your makeovers! Your hair is adorable!! (I think it looks great longer too as I've seen in pics posted prior, but this is really cute! =)

The flowers are really pretty ~ must make you feel a bit more *settled in* to the new house with some fun things planted.

The cabinet is darling. So fun. You have such a knack for decorating (runs in the family I guess...). :-)

Well, we are grilling again tonight ~ chix and corn on the cob...I just hopped on the computer quick to check a few things, but I have to go get the table ready!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Katie

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Love all the changes!

Luckily, since I'll be having another boy..I think I'll only need to change the title of my blog but can keep my blog address. :)

Jamie said...

I love the cabinet and your hair looks great!

A, B & C said...

I love your hair, but you're right about not being drastic. I usually get tired of my hair every few years and cut it really short!
I love the flowers and cabinet- everything looks great!

Ewokgirl said...

It all looks great!

Candace @ A Garden of Blessings said...

Hi Carrie,
Everything looks great.The flowers are very pretty, and your hair looks cute. In case you have more areas to develop, I have used the canisters of wildflower mixtures before (with great success) in places where I can't get anything else to grow. The nice thing is that some of the plants will reseed themselves, and you will get a new and different type of flower garden every year.
I like the cabinet too.

Susan said...

Carrie,
Your hair looks great! I like the cabinet idea. Wish I could come over for that cup of tea.

Amy said...

You look so cute, Carrie! I am loving what you have done so far. The cabinet was a brilliant idea and what a great way to entertain others. I love it!

Frances said...

Cute hair! Isn't it great to feel lighter in the summertime?

Now you really need to update the photo in your blog layout. :)

Jan said...

Well don't you look cute! Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone a bit, that's something I always struggle with.