Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Potato packets

This summery dish is quick, yummy and so easy to throw on the grill with the rest of your meal!


Potato packets


4 medium red potatoes, cubed (I've used various kinds of potatoes, and sometimes leave the skin on, well-cleaned, of course)
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
1/2 t. seasoned salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. dried basil
1/4 t. parsley flakes*
1/4 c. olive oil


Combine veggies and seasonings (*I sometimes use an herb blend, instead of these individual spices--it's fun to experiment) in a bowl. Divide into 4 servings, placing one serving on a piece of aluminum foil. Sprinkle each packet with a bit of olive oil. Fold foil around veggie mixture and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 25-30 minutes. Open foil carefully to test doneness. Enjoy! (Thanks to my mom for the recipe.)


Besides the usual hamburgers and hot dogs, what do you enjoy cooking on the grill?


In the spirit of summer, I had to share this fabulous idea I just learned from a friend: instead of toting around chocolate bars and graham crackers for those inevitable s'mores, just grab a package of these instead, especially if you're camping. It's less fuss, and totally delicious!

14 comments:

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Yummy!

mom said...

We love these and had them the other night with chicken kabobs (also cooked on the grill). Yum! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Pizza on the grill
corn on the cob
steaks!

yummmm, Kristen

mer said...

I know you're not a red meat girl, but I love STEAK on the grill...kabobs...corn on the cob...chicken...and now, potato packets!

I love rosemary on potatoes. I'll have to try that and let you know how it comes out!

Great idea, Carrie, thanks for sharing! I especially like the Keebler Fudge Stripes idea.

Katie said...

Yum!! Thanks for sharing! We love to grill chix breasts with different seasoning. I also loved grilled corn on the cob ~ double yum! My husband really wants to try "kabobs" of some sort this summer. He's coming home tomorrow ~ maybe I'll surprise him with the ingredients already prepared! Thanks for the idea Carrie! Have a good day!

gail said...

i know you're not a meat eater, but we enjoy grilling lamb. lamb is milder than beef, but has a yummy flavor.

we also enjoy grilling corn on the cob. you can do it in the husk and it is sooooooo good.

Amy said...

Oh,those sound delicious. Am bookmarking for my notebook entry tomorrow. Yummy!

We are doing a lot on the grill this year. We just had Italian Brats last night that were delicious. I am hoping to attempt grilling pizza this year!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I made potatos in a grill packet last night. Yummy! I like chicken, pork chops and even cube steak on the grill.

Linds said...

I love asparagus on the grill. It's delicious!

I also love packets with onions, peppers, and mushrooms.

Yum!

Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

Carrie said...

Sounds like a GREAT idea and very yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...

I have learned to appreicate a nicely grilled bratwurst. Remember when we made those chocolate cakes in the orange peels back camping a few years ago. Was that your idea? Do you remember how it went?

thehomespunheart said...

Yummy - we like these too and they are good cooked in the oven too, just in case it rains after you started fixing them!

Kara K said...

Lance's favorite thing to do is to marinate chicken breasts in italian dressing and then grill them. I also enjoy throwing on an ocassional pineapple that Lance has cored. (He tried to buy me a tool that does pineapple coring for my birthday. I returned it stating that I didn't need a tool - I have Lance!)We also enjoy heating up leftover pizza on the grill. Much better than having soggy microwave pizza.

Stephanie said...

We were inspired to make these when we grilled Friday night. They were so tasty! Thanks for the idea :-). It was a nice change to our usual grill menu of corn on the cob. I love hamburgers and brats on the grill.