Friday, June 6, 2008

R+R

Thanks so much to each of you who commented on my last post. I appreciate your wisdom, support, challenges, and encouragement!

I think I pushed so hard during the move and leading up to it that now my body is crying out for rest. I've had a sore throat most of the week and am really tired. Since Wednesday night, I've taken a step back from my long list of projects to take care of myself so I can feel better and also care for my family.

Your comments gave me much food for thought. I needed to know that I'm not "alone" in feeling this way. I also needed a reminder to lower my expectations regarding how much needs to get done and that I need to be making space in my day for quiet time--both spiritually and in other kinds of rest and recreation.

Here's some of what I'm doing regarding breaks these couple of days:
*Yesterday, I went for a half-hour massage. I seriously almost fell asleep on the table--it was so relaxing!
*Today a friend will watch Nathan for a couple hours (I watched her son earlier this week, and I think we'll swap throughout the summer) so I'll have that time to rest or get errands done, depending on how I feel.
*Tomorrow is my retreat time. I am so ready for that--there is much to think and write about, and it will be great to have some quiet space to reflect.

Just wanted to check in. It's a goal of mine to take some pix of the house tomorrow so I can show you what we've been up to. Have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

Mom said...

I'm so glad you had a relaxing massage yesterday, that you have a couple of hours today while N is with a friend, and that you have your retreat tomorrow! Sounds great! I'm sorry you've had a sore throat -- hope you are feeling much better by now. Thinking of you with love and prayers, Mom

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I am glad that you are feeling better, emotionally anyway. I am sure that with your new frame of mind and the rest you have been giving your body you will feel all better in no time!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new home.

mer said...

Enjoy your time away today, and tomorrow. You're wise to listen to your body's cry for rest. That was a hard lesson for me to learn, but one that is so very necessary.

Oh, and for some reason I can load your blog now. Must have been some weird quirk!

gail said...

you are so wise to know your limits and give yourself permission to rest and recouperate. we can drive ourselves so hard and then we get sick.

aren't massages wonderful! i'm a big believer in the therapeutic benefits of massage.

Jenn said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better,not that a sore throat is better but you know what I mean. Can't wait to see pics of the house!

A, B & C said...

I hope you enjoy your well-earned rest and relaxation! It feels so good to have some time after you've worked so hard. I can't wait to see the pictures of everything you've done.

Steve & Molly said...

I bet after all the craziness you have had lately that you are really ready for a retreat time tomorrow! Moving is exhausting...physically, emotionally, and often spiritually! Hope you get truly refreshed! Enjoy!

Amy A. said...

I'm excited to see the pictures! Have a great retreat.