Tuesday, June 17, 2008

That still small voice

Note: this actually happened in January. I typed up the story at the time and saved it in my drafts folder, where it has stayed these past few months. After reading a similar experience on a blog last week, I knew I wanted to share this with you, because I am amazed at how God works in our lives:


One recent night as I was lying in bed, a family who I know only peripherally came to mind, and I sensed that I was supposed to bless them with a small offering. The next day, I was scheduled to have an hour-long massage (oh the bliss!), a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law. I felt a nudge to shorten my massage to a half-hour, and to give the difference in cost to this family. I dismissed the idea as absurd, but the next morning, I continued feeling that prompting.


I thought about calling the massage therapist to switch to a half-hour, but kept putting it off. It seemed kind of silly, and selfishly I wanted an hour's worth of pampering! A couple of hours before my appointment, my phone rang. Can you guess who it was? It was the massage therapist, asking if I could come earlier than our scheduled time because something had come up for her that evening. Though I could not arrive sooner, I meekly suggested we cut the massage to a half-hour. She said that would work out great for her. After I hung up, I said, "OK, Lord, I get it." But I still hemmed and hawed about the second part of the "assignment." I have no problem giving to worthy causes and organizations, but giving to someone I hardly know seemed, well, somewhat risky.


As I flipped through the mail that afternoon, I opened a birthday card, in which a crisp bill fell out onto the table--the exact amount I had felt led to give the family. Once again, I shook my head and smiled. If I couldn't get the message the first time--the first few times--He wasn't going to give up on me. Before I could even think about how else that money might be spent, I put it in an envelope, sealed it and sent it off with an anonymous note. Mission accomplished. Finally.

16 comments:

Mom said...

I love this story! Wouldn't you have liked to be a "fly on the wall" so you could see the recipients' faces when they opened the gift God prompted you to send? Thanks for sharing! Love you, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Oh Carrie, I love this story too! I read the story you linked recently and was really excited to read yours as well!

mer said...

Beautiful.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

So uplifting! Thanks for sharing.

Frances said...

Awesome story, and yet I'm probably most grateful for your honesty about dragging your feet when you thought God was asking you for a sacrifice. Don't we all do that? If only we all had the opportunity to "make good" by following through later. Then again, if God always gave us another chance to be generous, we might never give immediately the first time we feel that tug.

gail said...

that's great! yes, the Lord continues to prompt us. He is faithful and was leading you in faith to do what He wanted you to do. He knew you would be obedient. and what a blessing to that family. you were Jesus in flesh to them, tho they may never know it was you. how fun to be part of God's kingdom and His mission on earth.

blessings on you today, gail

Ewokgirl said...

Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it with us. Isn't it amazing how the Lord still provides, even when he calls for sacrifice from us?

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

What a great story!! When I was young my mom and I were very poor and we would often receive small donations that were always the perfect amount. I know you touched someone's life in a big way!

A, B & C said...

What a great story! It's amazing how much I forget sometimes to stop and pay attention to his messages for me. This was a huge blessing to them, I'm sure!

Amy said...

This is such a great story and a wonderful reminder of how God can provide for us. Thank you for reminding me of this!

Niki RuralWritings said...

Wonderful story. God's hand is an awesome thing.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, Carrie!
Blessings,
Niki

Daiquiri said...

So neat! It's amazing just ow similar our stories are. That little prompt, the reminding prompt, the "ARE YOU GETTING THIS" prompt. I'm glad we have a patient God. Thanks for sharing :) And thanks for the link too...I appreciate it.

Tracy said...

Thankfully, you did listen in the end. God is good!

Susan said...

Carrie,
Great post! God has really given me chances and almost missed out. He is so good. That is so great you blessed that family!
Susan

Liisa said...

I just had a similar experience. God got through to me though - My sister and I call those McFly moments. That comes from Back to the future where Biff keeps knocking on Mcfly's head saying "Hello McFly!" Sometimes it feels like God has to do that to me repeatedly to get through. ~smile~

Yes we are odd!

Blessings,
Liisa

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Our family was going through a financial mini-crisis this month. Nothing like being out of food or shelter but we were already short this month when our car broke down.

Imagine my surprise when a very sweet person who reads my blog said she felt led to send us a gift. When it arrived, it was the amount we needed to fix our car and have enough for the rest of the month.

I have been on the other side where I felt led to give when we had more. I truly believe these times are God's schoolroom tests, seeing if we are paying attention. :)