Friday, June 13, 2008

Updates

*Thanks to all who offered tips on removing the blue stains from our toilet bowls. I tried taking a picture to show how bad they are, but couldn't get it right with the lighting. I could only take so many pictures of a toilet! =)

Four ideas were given in the comments: bleach, pumice stone, Borax and vinegar, and the Mr. Clean eraser

I decided to try the Borax solution first, because it's natural and I had the ingredients on hand. As instructed, I mixed it, poured it in the toilet and scrubbed; then let it sit overnight. I saw no difference the next morning, though I'm sure the solution gave a good cleaning!

Next, I tried the magic eraser, which has proven successful for other tough stains. However, I had to press quite hard, and only saw minimal improvement.

Then I thought I should check out a pumice stone, which I purchased at Lowe's. The package promises that the product is unexcelled at removing hard water stains, and I have to say I was quite impressed. Thanks to Lisa and Ewokgirl for the winning suggestion!

*I also appreciated all your suggestions for praise CD's and am excited to look into some of them soon. After someone mentioned Selah, I remembered my husband had a disc of theirs that I'd never listened to. Wow--it was wonderful! This song gave me chills . . .

*Thank you for weighing in on my neighborly post. God works in mysterious ways. Just last night, we were all outside in the front yard, and our neighbors across the street came out and started throwing a frisbee. I was chasing Nathan, and when I turned around, the dad was making his way over to us. Yay! We met the couple, and their youngest daughter who's in high school, and ended up talking for a long time. It turns out their two sons attend school in my husband's hometown, so we had much to talk about. Then I asked the wife if she'd ever seen inside our house, and she said no, so I invited her in for a peek. There were plenty of toys strewn about, but I figured she's a mom, too, so oh well! The men stayed outside to chat, and it turns out this couple had thought of the same idea to gather the neighborhood this summer: an ice cream block party! They'd already decided they wanted to have it on or around the first day of summer, but just hadn't moved further with the details. I jumped right in and suggested we co-host, and a plan was born. We decided all the important details, and I already made the invites last night, which we'll hand-deliver this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes! (And speaking of hosting, we're having a little housewarming party here this morning--more to come on that later.)

10 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Yeah! So glad you met some friendly neighbors - love the idea of you co-hosting the ice cream social! And, the First Day of Summer seems like a great choice! Hope your little porch party this morning is a hit! Take pictures of the lemonade for me :)

Love you,
Monica

Mom said...

Thanks for these updates -- I'm especially excited about your new neighbor/friends and that you are hosting your ice cream social together! :) Love you, Mom

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I am so glad that you are meeting your neighbors. I think the ice cream social sounds like lots of fun!

A, B & C said...

I'm so happy that you got the stains off of your toilet bowl. I'll have to remember this for future moves!

It sounds like you have a great plan for the ice cream social. Have a great time and keep us updated!

Tracy said...

I'm so excited for you! Friendly neighbors are such a blessing.

Frances said...

Thanks for linking to the "Wonderful, Merciful Savior" lyrics - that IS a powerful song. I'm pretty sure my best friend had it sung at her wedding. Her husband is a worship leader-in-training and she has a magnificent voice, so it was especially beautiful singing it with them leading.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

I'm so glad to hear you're already making a mark in your neighborhood. The party will be so much fun! I'm a little intimidated to do something like that in our neighborhood!

I do have to agree with many of the comments, that friendly neighbors are such a blessing. We were bummed when the people behind us moved out as we were just starting to get to know them. Thankfully, our new neighbor is so nice, always coming over to chat. It just feels like that is how a neighborhood is suppose to work, and also makes summer seem more complete!

By the way - I love that Selah song! The words are fantastic and Selah makes them come to life unlike any other artist!

Have a great day!
Kendra

kristin said...

Hey, I think that Selah CD is from me!! I love their music and listen to it often in our home. I should have responded to your other post on music, but some great kids CDs that we recently borrowed and now need to purchase are Seeds of Faith and Seeds of Courage. They are fairly upbeat and all Scripture, pretty much word for word. After two weeks in the car, Brianna had one of the CDs memorized, and we both liked listening to them too. There are others in the "Seeds" series. I haven't heard them yet., but they are probably equally good.

I'm so glad you were able to meet some neighbors! I'm impressed to hear you taking that ice cream social on after just moving! Good for you!

Love,
Kristin

Amanda said...

I love Selah too! Really uplifting to the heart. And good luck with the ice cream party... that's so fun and right up your alley. :)
Amanda

Rebecca said...

Selah is one of my favorite groups and "Press On" is one of my top favorites! This website: www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com is written by Todd's wife about their journey through carrying a baby that was not expected to live long after birth. A wonderful read and an amazing testimony!