Monday, June 23, 2008

We all scream for ice cream

Our neighborhood ice cream social was a smashing success! Being the new kids on the block =), I had no idea if people would show up. Plus, it started clouding up right around 7 and I was afraid rain would keep them away. Instead, it cooled things off and made sitting outside quite pleasant. Yay!

We invited 14 households (most being empty nester couples), and 26 people came. Even better, the shin-dig lasted a surprising three hours. (When Eric asked if we should state an end time on the invitations, I said, "Let's just see what happens." I never imagined everyone would linger so long--what fun.) People brought their lawn chairs and spread out all over our porch and lawn. We and our co-hosts provided the ice cream, drinks and dishes, and we asked our neighbors to bring a topping to share. Esther made her special caramel corn, and June brought homemade hot fudge sauce. Delightful and delicious!

I admit I was skeptical when someone suggested we play a "getting-to-know-you" game, but it went really well. We each were given a slip of paper and a pen, and we had to write down something unusual about ourselves. Then the designated emcee read each statement, and we tried to guess who went with which fact. Having just learned that one of our neighbors is the former owner of the local butcher shop, I couldn't resist writing down "I don't eat red meat!" It was a fun way to learn something random about each person.

Several people thanked us repeatedly for hosting such an event. Many of our neighbors have lived on this same block for decades, and they said they used to have block parties a long time ago. I hope our little social will be the first of many more neighborly get-togethers!

16 comments:

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Sounds like a great time!!

mom said...

Lovely! Sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves -- I'm glad it was a great success! Love you, Mom

Liisa said...

It sounds like a lot of fun! I really appreciate you sharing your getting to know you game since I was put in charge of coming up with some for an upcoming event!

Blessings,
Liisa

Tracy said...

I'm so glad that it went well. Sounds like you met some new friends!

Katie said...

What fun! :-)

Thanks so much for sharing! A very inspiring story to get out and meet some neighbors.

Have a wonderful day!
Katie

mer said...

I'm glad you took the initative to do that, and it sounds like your neighbors appreciated it too. I hope that you'll enjoy living amongst them for a long, long time!

mer said...

Hey Carrie, have you ever heard of Family Fun magazine? My new issue arrived last week, and I haven't sat down to look at it thoroughly, but I did flip through it and it had some ideas for neighborhood block parties.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Yay! I am so happy that it was a success.

Linds said...

Carrie-

Great job! How fun and what a turn out. Very inspiring.
Linds

Amy said...

That is so awesome, Carrie! You have definitely inspired me to be more neighborly! Thank you for that- I am really proud of you. I know these things are tough to orchestrate, butit is always good to know your neighbors and who you can call when things are tough :)

Jamie said...

I'm glad you had such a good time!

gail said...

glad to hear it was a roaring success. sometimes it takes the new kids on the block to get things going again. sounds like it'll be an annual event.

Ewokgirl said...

I'm glad it went so well! I'm so impressed at how you've made such an effort to get to know your neighbors. I'm sure they were all grateful for what you've done. It's always hard to be the one to take the initiative.

thehomespunheart said...

How fun! I'm so glad that you had a good turn out and a fun time. I loved reading about it and wished I could have come! It is almost beyond my imagination at how fun it would be to be neighbors with you...maybe someday.

Love you,
Monica

Susan said...

Carrie,
That is great that you brought hospitality back to the neighborhood. Susan

Jane said...

what a wonderful idea