Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday: Ice, ice, baby

A few months ago, I did a series of posts regarding this book. My husband just finished reading through it, and his increased awareness has helped spur us both to find more ways to be good stewards environmentally.


Reading the book opened our eyes to how much energy it takes to keep our appliances running, and we are trying to take small steps to decrease this usage. The biggest thing we've done is to disable the ice maker on our new refrigerator. Did you know that little convenience uses considerably more energy than its "basic" counterpart?


According to Sleeth, "the auto ice-maker uses additional energy in two ways. The obvious one is the motor that can be heard (and in some cases grinding) ice from the storage bin through a door. The less obvious user of energy is the heating element that must stay on at all times under the ice-cube-forming tray. This allows the ice to 'slide' out of the ice-making area into a storage bin. The effect of the heating element is similar to leaving a lightbulb on in the freezer. To 'upgrade' your current refrigerator to a more efficient one, disconnect the electrical supply plug to the ice-maker unit and use old-fashioned ice cube trays."


My husband cut a small piece of plywood and set it in the icemaker so we can set two "old-fashioned" cube trays on it. Disabling the ice-maker and thereby saving energy works for me!

9 comments:

mom said...

We've never had an ice maker and sometimes I've wished we did. Now I feel much better about it! Thanks for sharing -- love you, Mom

mer said...

How smart, Carrie! Although to give up my icemaker would require much sacrifice on my part...I'm a bit of an ice-a-holic. :) Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that.

robin@heartofwisdom.com said...

Oh Goodness, who knew. Thanks for sharing!

robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Frances said...

I glossed right over that part of the book, I guess - thank you so much for sharing the tip here. I hope I remember to do the same if we ever have an automatic ice maker.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie -

I thought I'd let you know that just yesterday I wrote up the contract for two more "green" books with the Sleeths! It's the first time Tyndale has published them, so we're excited to have them in our line-up. The next book is very practical, loaded with over 1,000 tips and the following one is written specifically for women. Too bad they won't release for about a year...

-Kendra

Ewokgirl said...

I opted to give up drying most of our clothes in the dryer. I don't think I could live without my ice maker, especially as we have a filter on the water line into the fridge/freezer. Filtered ice and filtered water are worth the extra energy to me.

Family O'Foxes said...

For some reason when I read this I thought you said -ice cream maker. And when I read unplug it from the fridge ...I thought 'WHAT'?!!! They now make fridges with icecream makers. hee hee! I must be tired or hungry! :)
~Amy

Susan said...

No ice maker here. The don't put ice cubes in their drinks. You go to a restaurant, IF they give you ice cubes you get 2 cubes. No joke. Also, in Germany the freezer is on the bottom and the fridge on top. Heat rises and it is cooler on the lower level. Interesting...Thanks for sharing about the ice maker, it will make me think if we get another fridge in the future.

A, B & C said...

I don't have an ice maker or disposal and really don't miss either. I actually have a post about energy saving tips in my drafts, so I'll have to add your advice about the ice maker before I post it.

Thanks, as usual, for such great advice!