Friday, July 25, 2008

All you wanted to know about January 24

A long time ago, Gail tagged me to do a meme about my birthday, January 24.


I'm supposed to list 3 events that happened on my b-day, so I picked ones that had some relevance to my life:

1862 Bucharest proclaimed the capital of Romania (my husband has traveled there twice and has a heart for this country)

1907 Robert Baden-Powell founds the Boy Scout movement (my dad used to work for the Boy Scout office, and my sister and I went to their local camp on numerous occasions!)

1984 The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale (I'm a PC user, but I find it so fascinating that I am part of the generation that grew up with computers--yet look how far they've come in the past 24 years. Hard to imagine no Internet!)


Then I'm supposed to list 2 important birthdays and one death:

1862 Edith Wharton (I don't think I've even read anything by this famed American writer, but having been an English major, I felt she deserved a nod.)

1968 Mary Lou Retton (I had to list Mary Lou--I used to be a huge gymnastics fan, and I've always admired her. I remember learning as a little girl that we shared the same birthdate and thinking that was so cool!)

Yikes--I'm going to skip the death listing. The only person I'd even heard of was a serial killer, and I don't even want to mention his name.


Thanks for the tag, Gail--I enjoyed learning more about my b-day. I would tag Abbey, but we have the same birthday, including year! (Speaking of Abbey, she just gave me a sweet award for having a "brilliante" blog---thank you!)

We're heading on the road again, so I'll look forward to checking in when we get back.

9 comments:

mom said...

January 24 is a very special day in our family! Since you were actually due in March, we were surprised for you to have a January birthdate. We are thankful that you are so healthy despite being born so early and, of course, very thankful you are part of our family! :) Love you, Mom

Katie said...

A neat peak into history, Carrie ~ thanks for sharing! My best friend, Becky, shares your birthday as well. (Only 6 months until the next one!) :-) Have a wondeful weekend and safe trip!

Katy said...

My husband recently went on a mission trip to Romania. :) I see we have that in common :).

gail said...

its so fun to learn more about you! i'm glad you got around to doing this, and i was just at abbey's site and saw she had tagged you! you deserve it!!!

Mom2fur said...

I know the 'bad guy' you are talking about! But let's remember some good guys instead who passed away on January 24th--how about Gordon Macrae, who starred in "Oklahoma!" and Larry Fine, Larry of the Three Stooges?

PS--My birthday is January 25th!

Mom2fur said...

PS--I missed the deadline for the new swap. But if you need someone to fill in, let me know! I'm sorry to hear people finked out on you guys--there should be a bad swapper list!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

When you mentioned Romania, I thought of gymnastics. I wanted to be on the Romanian team back in the 70s (I wanted to be Nadia). Then, Mary Lou came along and won my heart as well.

Fun post!

Jthemilker said...

Wow... interesting.

I gave you a brilliant blog award this morning because you posted the best Monster Bars recipe! YUMMO -- and there are other reasons why I love your blog. You are REAL, down-home, and God-loving. Enjoy!

Vanessa said...

Hi Carrie - I've been reading your blog for awhile now. Cute meme. . .we almost share a Birthday (I'm the 27th!!!).

- Vanessa