Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Michigan trip, part 2

During our stay, some of the extended family came over for a day-long mini reunion. Eric's Aunt Sue is very talented in the hostess department, and she showed me how to make this fun and refreshing party drink. The recipe is quite simple: just freeze several cartons of guava pineapple juice, let it thaw slightly, and serve in cups, along with a spear of fresh pineapple, a maraschino cherry and topped with a pretty parasol.
Here I am, pictured with Aunt Sue and Great-aunt Marion after assembling the drinks.

For our anniversary, we went out to dinner and took a trip to a beautiful pier along Lake Michigan. We had a picture taken in this exact same spot 5 years ago!


In addition to the usual boat and jetski jaunts, I tried kayaking for the first time. It was actually my idea, surprising given my fear of the water, but it was fun. I was glad Eric was with me--I don't think it would be as relaxing if I was alone.

We also got to meet up with some dear friends near Chicago on our way back--love you, M+M!

So that was our trip--it was wonderful to be with family and friends!

11 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Fun pix - Carrie, I really love your new swimsuit, super cute and very flattering. Good job!

Cute drinks too! :)

mom said...

LOVE these photos! I immediately recognized the lighthouse from your earlier photo there, great to see M&M (all three of you look healthy and happy!), and I'm proud of you for persevering in enjoying water sports in spite of your past experience and fear. Fun party drinks and nice to see photos of Aunt Sue and Great-aunt Marion (I remember her being a good sport about singing at your wedding reception!). Thanks for sharing -- Love you, Mom

Brie said...

I know where you were now based on that lighthouse photo because we go there everytime we visit my relatives! Actually, my mom fell off the end of that pier once, but that's a whole different story!

Amy said...

Really great pictures! Those drinks look like the perfect summertime treat! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Fun pictures - I love all of the cute drink pictures you've taken over the past few months. :) Lovely pictures of friends and family too...

Mandi

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I have always wanted a summer vacation in Michigan. With all your great pictures I desire it even more! Looks like so much fun!

gail said...

oooo--i went kayaking once. fun, fun! i'm glad you pushed past your comfort zone.

that beverage looks yummy and so easy to do! thanks for sharing

Amanda said...

Yeah for a great time! The first time I kayaked was in the ocean, I flipped immediately from a wave ascending on me and the water was freezing. I'm glad your first time was in the lake and with an such an experienced helpmate. :)

A, B & C said...

Looks like a fun trip! So great to have you back...

Hayley said...

What a romantic place to spend your anniversary! Green with envy here....wish there were beautiful lighthouses in Iowa!! LOL!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I want to try those drinks sometime soon!

Happy (Belated) Anniversary!