Monday, July 21, 2008

Monster bars

I don't love the name of this recipe, but that's what they were called in the newspaper, and it was a lot shorter than writing Gooey Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars.

These are seriously delicious, and the recipe makes a ton! I put together plates of bars for 3 different families, and we still had half of them to indulge in at home. These have gotten rave reviews from the local taste testers, so I wanted to share the dish with you. As usual, this is my slightly modified version.

Monster bars

3/4 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. peanut butter
1 egg
2 sticks butter (I think I'll experiment with using a little less next time, more for fat content than anything else)
1 t. baking soda, dissolved in 1 T. water
5 c. quick oats
2+ c. chocolate chips

Melt brown sugar, butter and peanut butter together. Mix in rest of ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes on a large greased cookie sheet (with sides). Don't overbake as they will get crispy. Enjoy!

Two other random recipe notes: 1) I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoy this yummy orzo salad--another great dish for summer! 2) We tried this Indonesian Rice over the weekend--it was so good that I'm entering it into our regular rotation. We loved it!

Also, Friday was a pop comments post. My husband chose the winner (randomly, I promise--the odds were just 1 in 4!), and it happens to be Monica, who arrives tonight!! (Hooray!) Monica will receive this MOPS book. Thanks for commenting!

12 comments:

Mary Ann said...

We grew up making "Monster cookies" a recipe similar to yours with M&M's added. We always loved them. I believe the name came from the huge cookie size and amount made.

These look really good!

mom said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe -- they sound good! I may try making half the recipe for Dad and me.

Have fun with Monica and all the littles! :) Looking forward to seeing you soon -- Love, Mom

Niki RuralWritings said...

The bars sound perfect for my son's packed lunches. I've been looking for something to replace store bought granola bars.

I'll check out the Indonesian rice as well.

I've been meaning to tell you that the Farmer's Favourite Casserole recipe you shared is now one of our family's favourites.

Have a blessed time with your sister!
Niki

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

This recipe looks like a winner.

I'm always looking for something easy to bake that my son can take to the bookstore with him.

Katie said...

Sounds delicious! :-) Thanks for sharing! I've been making blueberry desserts lately ~ pie, pancakes... we just got a box of 10pounds of them from Michigan. I'll try to post some soon. I'm so happy Monica is coming out to visit ~ yea!! :-) Have a wonderful day, Carrie.

Meredith said...

Making some today! Thanks for the recipe.

Julie Anne said...

this recipe sounds delicious and I will have to try it sometime soon!! thanks for sharing it.

I can't believe I didn't comment on your pop comments post. I was going to because I get the "counting the cost" newsletter, but somehow in the busyness of my life, I didn't!! O well. I hope your friend enjoys the book!! :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Carrie...

Do you think I could make them with fewer chocolate chips? I haven't been to the store since we got back from our trip, but my kids were wanting to make something sweet. I have all the ingredients on hand, but only 1/4 bag chocolate chips.

Susan said...

Yummy! I think I would like to make this. How many cups is a stick of butter? I forgot, we don't have butter in stick portions here. Have a great day!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Sounds sinful!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

These sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Mother of Many said...

Those sound yummy,and lardy. I'll try them.