Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Inspiration appreciation: some special linkadoos

While Monica and her kids were at our house, we tried three ideas I had seen on other blogs, and I wanted to share with you how our "experiments" went:

We mixed up some sidewalk paint, using a recipe I saw on Wendi's blog. I mixed 1/2 c. cornstarch with 1/2 c. water, and added a few drops of food coloring. It was very easy to make, but we hadn't anticipated how messy it would be and that the kids would spill each of the 3 bowls. It didn't stain, however (clothing or the sidewalk) and it was a fun treat for my niece Rachel's 2nd birthday. Here are the kids enjoying it, and Monica posing next to her masterpiece!

I'd been wanting to try the ice cream Mer made with her kids awhile back. She encouraged me to use half and half, but I forged ahead with Nathan's whole milk. It would be interesting to compare two different versions, though. The first time we made the ice cream, the outer bag (holding sharp ice and rock salt) cut holes in the smaller bag. Having no idea, we dished it up and I took my first bite. Oh my word, it was salty! So, we pitched that batch and tried again the next night. I was still not a big fan (maybe too much vanilla for my taste?), but it was fun to try.
Finally, I had seen a link to a honey baked French toast recipe (hat tip to Linds), and I thought Monica and her girls would enjoy it. It was very yummy. I'd make it again, but I would probably make a little more of the "soaking" concoction, as it stretched pretty thin for the last two pieces of bread.

Isn't it fun to find recipes, tips and ideas from fellow bloggers? Thanks for the inspiration--keep it coming!

9 comments:

Mom said...

What fun to try these things with your sister! :) Love you, Mom

Tracy said...

I've had the same experience with the ice cream, BUT you can place the ice/salt in a large coffee can, and the goodies in a smaller coffee can placed inside the larger one. ROLL it back and forth. NO HOLES/NO SALT!

thehomespunheart said...

Yeah for blog friend inspiration!!! Fun memories of time with you! :)

Linds said...

I do so love the honey baked french toast recipe!

Good to know about the sidewalk paint as well!

Michele said...

Oh, yum- homemade ice cream! :) We love making it with the cream from our raw milk.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Blessings,
Michele

Sheila said...

We just did the ice cream in a bag this week! Ours was delicious!! I think you should try it with half and half. We also squirted a single squirt (no measurement!) of chocolate syrup in it. Did you double-bag the ice cream mixture and use freezer bags? We didn't have any trouble with our bags breaking. I was really surprised at how good it was (which may not have been a good thing!).

The Stepford Wife said...

The sidewalk chalk is a neat idea. We have a long driveway, so there's a lot of potential for doodling when we have some of our friend's kids over. I wish I'd had the recipe when my niece and nephew were over. :(

The ice cream recipe you have is a lot like the one I used and I agree, it was too vanilla strong for my taste. Try using another extract, like coconut or strawberry. Super tasty!

Anonymous said...

Cute top, Carrie! :)

Mandi

Angela said...

hi--
i am enjoying reading your blog...i wanted to try this recipe for the honey baked french toast....but i feel sort of dumb...what is the 2/3 OJ .All i can think of is orange juice and i know this isnt it....LOL...can you please tell me,,,,thanks
angela
angela_grace_2007@yahoo.com