Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Early birthday trip

When my sister turned 30 a couple years ago, she and my mom took a weekend trip to celebrate. In anticipation of my 30th, I asked Mom if I got to do the same. (You other younger siblings are nodding your heads, I'm sure!) I chose Minnesota as my destination. But who wants to go there in January, especially while 7 months pregnant? Not me! So we decided to travel a few months early, and had a wonderful time!

Being more of a small town girl, I wanted to explore some of the small towns we've driven through on rare trips up to the Twin Cities. So that's what we did. We stayed in a very comfy bed and breakfast the first night, and were hosted by a dear friend the second. It was so much nicer than an impersonal hotel, in my opinion! Here are my mom and me outside our B+B:
Unfortunately, it rained the whole weekend, but we didn't let it deter us from exploring a farmer's market, an orchard, and some fun gift shops. Here are a couple fall scenes:
My mom had never been here, but she's heard Monica and I talk about it many times, so she was quite excited to have her first taste of this unique shopping experience.
We had a very fun weekend, and I am thankful to my husband for watching Nathan so my mom and I could spend this time together.

(I'll be back on Friday--just wanted to check in and share these pix.)

18 comments:

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Looks like a fun trip. And what a wonderful idea!

thehomespunheart said...

Fun pix! So glad you both had fun - it was great to talk to you yesterday!

Monica

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday milestone! It looks like you had a wonderful time.

Guess what? IKEA is coming to Denver!

Hayley said...

Ooooooohhhhhh, IKEA!!!! I LOVE IKEA!!! Looks like you had a fun time!!

Leah in Iowa said...

What a neat idea - a mother / daughter trip! With two girls of my own, I'll have to try and remember this. Fun photos of my homeland, too. =)

Anonymous said...

Supa cute! We'll talk soon - so glad you got to do this with momma! Love you!

Mandi

Abbey said...

What a great trip. I love the fall scenes you got, since fall is my favorite season. I can't believe we'll be thirty in January!

Katie said...

How fun!! Bummer it rained, but I love all the spots that you visited! IKEA is big up here! If you ever come back up this way, let me know! :-)

gail said...

good to have you back! glad you had a fun trip with your mom. what a great tradition to start with her girls.

mom said...

What a lovely trip together -- I am so glad it worked out and will treasure these new memories! :) Happy early birthday! :) Love, Mom

kristin said...

I'm so glad you had a fun time away! I was thinking of you. I'm just sorry that it was such a rainy weekend, but I am happy it didn't put a damper on things. I hope you have come back refreshed and rested, for what I'm sure is a busy stretch ahead with Homecoming around the corner.

Anonymous said...

GLAD YOU HAD FUN AND WERE CAREFUL.
SEND MOM HOME ON TIME.

LOVE, DAD

Amanda said...

Looks like fun! Greg and I went to our first B&B for our anniversary this year. We will definitely do it again. :)

Linds said...

Looks like so much fun! What a special time with your mom!

Amy said...

It sounds wonderful- I am glad you got to enjoy all of that right now instead of waiting!

30 is great- I just found out it is the new 20 ;)

((Hugs))

Kara K said...

Carrie - no way you are turning 30 at the beginning of the year!?! (oh wait, I'm turning 26 at the beginning of the year. I suppose that could be right ...)

Kara K

Susan said...

What a great time to spend with your mom! I love IKEA and am excited to see from Mer it is coming soon to Denver.

Melody said...

I love IKEA. I wish they had one here.

It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

How nice to get to spend time with your mom alone. I might have to suggest something like that to mine.