Friday, September 12, 2008

Wanting to be faithful

I have dozens of journal entries/blog posts brewing in my head right now. It's been really interesting how having a part time job has made me process my decision and commitment to stay home full-time with Nathan. I am definitely enjoying my work at the office, but I am also thankful it's a temporary set-up. Though I have many hard days and moments in my job at home, I am seeing anew that it is the place I feel I am supposed to be.


Since reading my friend Amanda's post on Tuesday, I've been reflecting on these words she shared after hearing a woman speak at her church: "She talked about the order of priority that needs to be established in our lives. Her order was, Jesus, Husband, Children, Job, and then ministry."


I've been thinking about what I am doing (and in some cases not doing) to intentionally nurture these relationships and fulfill my responsibilities.


my walk with God: morning and evening quiet times--brief but pretty consistent. In the mornings, I've been reading My Utmost for His Highest, but think I will switch to something else soon. At night I journal, pray for loved ones and read the Bible. My retreats were kind of haphazard over the summer, and I'm hoping to do an extended one sometime soon.


Eric--weekly date nights on Wednesday. We started that back when we were dating, and have done pretty well at keeping it a priority. Summers are usually "off" due to travel and our babysitters being gone, and we've just resumed these on a regular basis. We also pray together every Sunday night.


Nathan--This looks different right now during this season of part-time work and a new pace. We spend a lot of time together, but I'm definitely still working on the balance of quality and quantity! One thing Nathan really enjoys right now is reading, so it's fun to join him in an activity where he actual sits still (and on my lap!) for a few minutes.


job--Primarily, I am a homemaker. There is so much I want to be doing at home to make our household run smoothly. I feel kind of scattered with these details right now, and don't feel I've found a groove with getting things done around the house since starting my job, which is secondary to my job at home. I am helping out at the college for a few more weeks. Our event date is quickly approaching, and the details are numerous. It's reminding me in some ways of planning a wedding! It's fun, but there are many things to keep track of and people to coordinate.


ministry--This part of my life is expanding this year. I will continue to lead the middle school girls small group, and to serve in the nursery at church. Eric and I have already lined up some ways to be host others on a regular basis. In addition, I am going to be a MOPS group leader this year. I'm nervous and excited for that role, as we start in just a couple weeks, but I think it's a great way to support moms! (Anyone else out there in MOPS?!)

I recently made a list of all the things I'm involved in, which includes a couple things not written here. It was clear to me that I have a pretty full plate right now, and I asked the Lord to help me to not add any more commitments. Well, wouldn't you know it? This past week, two other possibilities have come up, and I agonized over each decision. And though I wanted to say yes to each of them, I felt the Lord telling me that there are many good things, but they are not always the *right* things, or perhaps not the right timing. Sometimes saying no allows us to better serve where we've already said "yes." So I need to trust in that, and to be faithful in these other things He's called me to.


My mom's arriving later today, and she and I will be heading off for a weekend getaway! I'll be back on Tuesday to share details of our adventures. I hope each of you has a wonderful weekend. (By the way, my comments have been and will be a little sparse this next week. I look forward to catching up soon.)

9 comments:

gail said...

i love how you have organized your thots in this post. i need to write out my priorities. and yes, i LOVE mops! i took joe to mops until we aged out, and it was a wonderful group of women. i'm so happy to hear you are going to be a group leader. that is a real ministry and the Lord will use you, carrie.

have a wonderful time with your mom.

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - this reminds me of what I read in Nancy Twigg's book last night, "There are enough good things out there to keep us busy 24/7. But saying yes to all of them means we say no to other things that are truly more important."

Hope you have a great time with Mom!

Love you -
Monica

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Great post. I'm also on my MOPS steering committee and love what a blessing it has been to me!

Ewokgirl said...

Saying no is a very healthy thing.

I understand what you mean about a part-time job making you reevaluate your life at home. I tutor at a middle school each spring, and when I do that, I always come away with the reminder of why I'm a SAHW. Working outside the home can have its moments, and the extra money is always nice, but when it comes right down to it, my heart always yearns to be back home with my schedule and our smoothly-running lives.

Leanne said...

I am also going away for the weekend! Thank you for this post...I need to get these priorities in order as well. I'm also a MOPS discussion leader! Its fun...but there is a lot of business in my life right now...I"m not sure how much I like it!

mom said...

Great insights -- I'm always interested to know your thoughts. :)
I'm thrilled to be here with you for the next few days! Love, Mom

Amanda said...

Carrie, great post. Writing out your thoughts on each priority is a great way to think about what you are doing in your life. What fun to go out with your mom, can't wait to hear what you did. Have fun.

Abbey said...

Hope your having a great time with your Mom. I love your insights on how you make each area in your life special. Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Well said, Carrie! This is a great reminder for a woman whose plate is always brimming over...

Have fun with your mommma- can't wait to hear what you did!!