Monday, October 13, 2008

Down into bright October

The title is a favorite phrase of mine from a James Taylor song . . .

I have lots of little updates to share, so this post promises to be long and rambling. Hang on for the ride!

*Eric got quite the boost last week--thanks for all your birthday wishes and your fun comments about our engagement story. He had a wonderful b-day. I decided to surprise him big time by booking him on a flight to Chicago so he could in turn surprise his brother, who ran the big marathon yesterday. (BIG props to Ryan, who not only finished but did it in style--just 3 hours, 18 minutes!) Just so you know, this is a way bigger gift than usual, but I really wanted to do something special and we won't see his family at Christmas this year . . . Eric and I decided several years ago to give each other "experiential" birthday gifts, and I'd say this definitely fit that description!

* I haven't been able to get it together yet to write the Mitford book post, or to follow up with the natural living baby steps club idea. Still percolating . . .

* Tracy recently reminded me that I've been wanting to put in a plug for adjusting your blog settings so I can reply directly to your comments via e-mail. Many of you already have this feature, which is great. If you don't, and aren't sure how to set it up, my friend Leah explains how here.

*Lastly, a couple of you asked what a Scotcheroo bar is, including my own sister! So, here's the recipe. They are so not healthy, and I don't make them often, but what a special treat. Eric said if he had to pick his final meal, he would pick a pan of these bars. I wouldn't go that far =), but they really are delicious!

Scotcheroos

Bring to a boil: 1 c. sugar and 1 c. light corn syrup
Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/4 c. peanut butter
Fold in 6 c. Special K cereal
Spread in 9x13 pan.

For topping, melt 1 c. each of butterscotch and chocolate chips. Spread over top of cereal mixture.

7 comments:

Wendi said...

Those bars sound so rich, but yummy!

What a fantastic birthday gift! I hope Eric had fun.

Anonymous said...

Sorry this took awhile for me to comment. I always seem to run out of time, I need a longer lunch break! Please tell Eric I think he is wonderful. I love a man who will wear goggles with his son and let a photo be taken. Too cute. And I love the proposal. Very well thought out.

Being a member of a divorce situation, my 20-something daughter is skeptical of there really being good solid Christian men out there. Men like Eric show that there is plenty of hope. She just has to wait for God to bring her "Eric" into her life.

Thanks for sharing!

Valerie

Jamie said...

Hi Carrie,
I always have to laugh because we seem to have a lot of the same things going in our households! I LOVE scotcheroos and make them a lot except I use rice krispies instead of special k. I first had them in high school and have been making them ever since. My husband and his family love them too!

Familia Stilwell said...

What a fun b-day gift! Thanks for sharing the recipe...I had forgotten all about those bars...my girls will love them!

Amanda said...

I loved reading the porch posts, a great memory for us too. :) And what a neat way to identify a unique way to celebrate birthdays for each other. I love that, experiential gifts. - I'll have to steal that name. we've been trying to identify what exactly to call our non-traditional 'gifts.'
thanks.

Mary Ann said...

My mom used to make Scotcheroos, too,sometimes. She used rice krispies, though!

thehomespunheart said...

Thanks for the recipe! Hope Eric had a great time! :)

I also love to respond to comments via e-mail, so thanks for posting that!