Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Linkadoos

  • Campbell Soup Co. just started a neat campaign called "Help Grow Your Soup." Stop by their site, and click on the red barn (you can do so once a day through June 2009!), and they'll donate a dollar to the National FFA Organization (an agricultural education group) "to help fuel the future of American farming."

  • Isn't Monica's hospitality inspiring? Though I don't anticipate hosting any Ugandans anytime soon, I would like to try this dinner of curried beans (sans tomato) and chapati. Yum!

  • One of my college roomies, Hayley (who I wrote about here), recently started a blog. Stop by and say hi, and while you're there, check out this cute centerpiece idea!

  • I just learned about an interesting site from my friend Amanda. I didn't know if I wanted to take the 20 minutes to watch the educational film, but I'm glad I did. It's an eye-opening look at U.S. consumption patterns. The video is full of facts and statistics--one of the statements that stood out to me is that the United States makes up 5% of the world's population, and yet we use 30% of the world's resources and produce the same percentage of the world's waste. Tragic! At the end of the video, there's a list of 10 practical ways we can help play address the issues from the film. Definitely gives us some things to think about . . .

Thanks for all your great comments on Monday's post. I wasn't sure what the reaction would be about my proposed "club," but quite a few of you were enthusiastic. I need to give it some more thought--for one thing, it needs a better name (any ideas?), so I'll post again soon when I've formulated some more details. Thanks for joining me on this journey!

7 comments:

Hayley said...

I agree with Monica's inspiring hospitality!! I would have never come up with all that fun stuff for those boys to do!! Thanks for the linkadoo to my blog....I'm really getting into this stuff!!

Katie said...

Neat links ~ I'll have to check them out! I am definitely inspired by Monica's hospitality!! I'll be pondering a name for the NLB club just in case you decide to go ahead with it. :-)

thehomespunheart said...

Hi Carrie!

I went and clicked the barn - neat idea!

Thanks for the link - I hope you get to try the recipe, it does sound like something you'd like!

Hayley's centerpiece idea is very cute and I am not at all surprised that the U.S. is so wasteful. I glanced at the list of ways to reduce and I'm glad to see that some of them are things I'm already doing! :)

Love you -
Monica

Amy said...

I love that story of stuff video. My husband & I watched it together and had a lot to discuss after we watched it. Thanks for all the links!

Susan said...

I saw this on the "Story of stuff" website.

"The European Union has adopted strong policies that require toxics to be removed from many products. So, while our electronic gadgets and cosmetics have toxics in them, people in Europe can buy the same things toxics-free. Let’s demand the same thing here. "

When I came to the US for a couple of weeks when my boy who was then 9 months old, I was horrified at the absolute low quality of Baby foods and formula that the US feed the babies. I looked in health food stores etc. These things are not allowed on the shelves in Europe. Even the most expensive baby formula AND organic store items are not at the European quality. Again I repeat, American baby food & formula items have too many toxins to sale in the European market. If an American company sales in Europe they recreate it at the standard of Europe. It is not the same! You guys need to be seriously mad about this.

mom said...

Great links! I'll have to watch the "Story of Stuff" video on the weekend, but I checked out the list of things to do, Hayley's cute centerpiece idea, and clicked the barn on the Campbell soup site. :) Love you, Mom

Carrie said...

re: the comment you left on my blog.....huh. I don't know. I know I updated my profile recently. I've been a mommy for 2 years this month! So, hmm? Just continuing to be one. But I don't think I had that on my profile earlier and they might be why you just noticed it.