Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Porch night, part 2

In case I piqued your interest yesterday, here's the story of the night Eric and I got engaged . .

Eric put a couple friends of ours, Ryan and Brian, up to the task of making me think I was helping them plan a surprise birthday for him (Eric). The whole time I thought I was the sneaky one, but I had no idea the masterminding that was at work!

Every Thursday night, as has been done for several years, our group of friends gets together to watch the reality show Survivor. On the night of October 7, 2004, we gathered in Eric's backyard to have our own version of the show, complete with team challenges like building a fire in the rain. At the end of the challenges, each of us "survivors" had to vote for one person to win a reward (as they often do on the show). Of course, it was rigged so that Eric would win, which all of our friends knew, but we all had to act surprised when Eric found out he was the big winner!
The prize was dinner for the two of us at the farm of close friends, a meal I thought I had secretly and strategically arranged. We had a lovely dinner with Dave and Jody, and then received the second part of the reward: a video of messages from our friends and family! (This happens nearly every season on the show since the survivors have been away from home for so long.)

Eric and I settled on to the porch swing (Dave and Jody stayed inside to 'clean up'), and Eric put my video in first. My friend Steph (who lived in Colorado at the time) was the first person on the screen, and I marveled that our buddy Ryan would have known how to contact her. But I was completely unsuspicious. Then my friend Mandi appeared on the video, followed by my dear sister Monica, then my parents, and then. . . Eric.

I was so confused as to why Eric would be on my "surprise" video, but I still didn't have a clue as to what was coming. Eric gave several analogies about how our relationship is like the show Survivor. And then he said, "With every show, there's a twist. (dramatic pause) Carrie, I knew tonight was supposed to be a surprise birthday party for me." My thoughts: "WHAT?!" (So articulate!) Eric: "What I want for my birthday is to form a permanent alliance with you."
Then he got down on his knee and asked me to marry him. I was so shocked that I didn't answer (!) for a couple minutes. I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that this was not his surprise birthday party! Of course, I said yes, and Eric proceeded to reveal to me some of the many secrets leading up to the proposal. Pretty amazing stuff, and the surprise "birthday" party we returned to campus for ended up being our engagement party. So much fun--and very creative!

20 comments:

mom said...

I love this story and Eric's creative (and sneaky!) work to accomplish it! It was fun to be part of it. :) And the alliance you have formed is strong and true (unlike many of the alliances on Survivor!) ~ Love to all, Mom

Rally said...

Great post Carrie! I remember you telling us the story~ Love your porch swing!

Hayley said...

I just love your engagement story! So fun and creative. WTG Eric!! :)

Kimberlee said...

What a sweet story! SO creative! I love your swing too!

autumnesf said...

That is a really great story. Thanks so much for sharing!

Wendi said...

That is such a fun story!

Kendra said...

That was really fun to hear again. Do you watch the video every year on your engagement anniversary? :)

barbara said...

What a great engagement story- thanks for sharing! BTW - love the swing :)

Melody said...

I think that is one of the best engagement stories I have ever heard.

Carrie said...

WOW! That is very amazing! How cool.

Thanks for sharing!

Christy@MercyEveryMorning said...

Wow! That is such a great story! :)

gail said...

wow--eric is one creative, sneaky guy! that's probably the best engagement story i've heard yet. thanks for sharing with all of us.

Susan said...

Eric is so much fun! I love it. I love it that he gave you a porch swing as a gift. That is a man who knows the heart of his lady.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Carrie, that is a GREAT story! I love the creativity and the sneakiness that went into making that night so special!

Ginger said...

Great story, Carrie. I enjoy your blog as well as Monica's. I wish your mom would create one. What wisdom she could impart!

Katie said...

Wow...that is quite a story!! :-) Brought tears to my eyes! Happy belated Anniversary of your proposal...and Happy early Birthday to your hubby! :-) Thanks for sharing!

Ewokgirl said...

I think that's one of the neatest engagement stories I've ever heard! What a line: I want to form a permanent alliance. :-)

Linds said...

What a great story and so creative. Thanks for sharing Carrie!

Kara K said...

Of course Eric puts all other engagement stories to shame. :) I remember this evening. I think Nicole and I were coming back from night class and we just missed you telling everyone. I remember hearing the story outside of the apartments and shrieking very loudly and running around. I was so happy for the both of you. And I still am :)
KaraK

Familia Stilwell said...

Aaaw, thanks for sharing! What a sweet story. :) So, are you planning porch swings for all your kids as wedding gifts? Or maybe graduation, so they can plan ahead?! :)