Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Porch night

Porch swings have played a significant role in Eric's and my relationship. First, we had our DTR ("defining the relationship" talk) on the porch swing of some dear friends (who were, of course, not around at the time!) We called that significant event "porch night." A year and a half later (and today being the anniversary of that date), we were engaged on the same swing (though this time it had been moved out to a beautiful farm, where we decided to have our rehearsal dinner). Then the night before our wedding, at the aforementioned farm, Eric gave me a porch swing of our own. In our first house, we really didn't have a great place to put it. So it sat in our basement, unfinished and neglected, until our move this summer.

Because our house is white with black trim, I really wanted to paint the swing black, a choice Eric reluctantly agreed to. It turned out great! (Due to the angle, the photo above does not show the striking color contrast, but I can tell you it looks very nice.)
By the way, any Survivor fans out there? Eric's proposal and that show have several connections--it was a very creative and thoughtful surprise! Perhaps I should share that story tomorrow . . .

14 comments:

Jean said...

You could have hung it up in basement anyway? Too dirty/clutterd? Clean it up and add more lights (paint white if you must, the walls)! I have a swing hung up down there in laundry section of our basement... a lifesaver!

Wendi said...

I am a huge fan of parch swings. Mine is hanging from a tree in our back yard. That is my get away spot.

Brie said...

I'm a Survivor fan, but even if I wasn't I'd still love to hear your engagement story!!!

The swing looks great :)

mom said...

What fun memories of porch night and all the ways porch swings have been important to you! I'm remembering four years ago when I was traveling and got a call in my hotel room about your engagement! :) Love you, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Love it, Carrie! I'm so glad you have a place now to enjoy sitting on it! :)

Amy said...

It looks beautiful. The one thing missing at my house is a big porch to put a swing on. I am jealous ;) You did a great job!!

Melody said...

I love porch swings. My grandparents had one and I used to love going to their house and swinging on it.

What a romantic gift.

Hayley said...

Oh what I wouldn't give to have a wrap around porch and a porch swing!!! I am thankful, though, for my enclosed porch.....so peaceful and quiet....perfect place to do devotions! I'll have to come visit you and your porch swing SOON!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie:

I think all of our family has fond memories of your porch swing stories. Congratulations on having such a lovely place to hang it & swing in it.

I seem to recall G'ma Mc & me having our picture taken on that porch swing at the farm the night of your rehearsal dinner. I'll have to look that up.

Enjoy your swing this fall.

Love, Grandma

Ewokgirl said...

That's a sweet story!

Incidentally, we bought a porch swing as our first anniversary gift to each other. If we ever move, that swing is coming with us!

Familia Stilwell said...

Ok, you hooked me...now, ya gotta share the rest of the story! Aren't porch swings great? I have lots of wonderful memories involving porch swings...not quite as romantic as yours, but fun ones with my grandma through my growing up years. :)

Amy A. said...

I love a good proposal story. Perhaps you SHOULD share it tomorrow!

Jody said...

OK, I read the anniversary story first... What a great way to propose! And what a wonderful memento.

Jamie said...

What a sweet story! I love the survivor twist. I just have to tell you that my husband also gave me a bench for our porch as a wedding present!! :-) Funny huh?