Monday, October 20, 2008

Putting one foot in front of the other

I've been pondering the baby steps post and your responses for a few weeks now. Here are some quotes that stood out to me from your comments:
  • My bigger focus at this season in my life is simplifying -- which sometimes means the "natural" choice is out (like the one you mention of soaking grains).

  • I am not alone in wondering if I am doing enough but doing the best I can. I do think it is all about baby steps.

  • I take some steps forward and sometimes I take some steps backward. I just try and do the best I can with my time & resources, but I hope that I will be able to do more and more each year.

  • I don't need to do it all at once, or all of it ever. I feel like it's more of a journey than a destination.

  • I'm definitely in the baby step club. I'm always thinking what else I could do, but focusing on one change at a time is a beautiful start to something great... a journey of change that is motivated by integrity and a teachable spirit.

  • I want to live mindfully. I love the idea of being more natural and getting away from chemicals and pollutants. But too often cost or convenience or just flat-out being overwhelmed by all the choices out there wins out. I often become paralyzed by too much information or too many choices.

Thanks for challenging and encouraging me with your comments and ideas. The funny thing about starting a "club" is that I didn't give that line much thought when I wrote the post. Ironically, when several people wanted to join, I felt paralyzed in the same way I do when approaching other aspects of this topic! So, it occurred to me that the best thing to do was something small to move forward--aka a baby step, which means finally writing this post as an initial response!

I was hung up on trying to think of a catchy name and all that jazz, and the thing is that I think we can just keep it a community, at least for now. Instead of having an official name or guidelines or trying to keep track of members, it can just be loose and flexible. I'll keep posting about my baby steps with natural living, and would love for you to do the same via comments here or on your own blog.

And by the way, over the weekend, I started reading the book Gorgeously Green, which was recently recommended to me by my friend Amy. It was also reviewed earlier this year by another blog friend named Amy! Some lines from the introduction of the book definitely related to this idea of making little changes that add up: "My motto is one change makes a difference, and if you can make two, that's even better!" The author admits that once she became more aware of the issues and research related to "green living," she felt really overwhelmed. "The most important thing," she says, "was the baby steps I took at the beginning. I had to realize that I couldn't change everything at once and that all I had to do was change one tiny thing a day."

That's great encouragement. I'll keep sharing what I'm learning from this book and other sources, and pointing you to posts I come across on this topic. I do hope you'll keep with me on this journey--you motivate me to stay with it!

5 comments:

mom said...

A good reminder that we don't have to do every possible "green" thing to make a difference. Even small changes add up. It reminds me of Wanda Urbanska's motto on the PBS program "Simple Living" -- "Nothing's too small to make a difference." Thanks for sharing! Love you, Mom

autumnesf said...

Very well said and encouraging. We can all do "one thing". What gets hard is when those that are super serious nag us for not doing enough or we guilted by those that do nothing..and tell us we might as well give it up because we aren't ever going to do enough. Why can't we can't encourage each other to find our own unique balance? Sounds like exactly what you are doing!

Jenny S said...

I would love to join you in this journey. "one change can make a difference" So much truth is spoken in that one line. If we each could make one small change on step at a time we all be happier in life. We have taken steps recently to put an end to the clutter around our home. We have taken fly ladies 27 fling boogie to heart. And are going through our home every day "flinging 27" items. It is refreshing to see empty space slowly reappering. I am going to post about this more this week. We want to head towards where your at. I am going to look up the book and explore it also.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Love this, Carrie. I agree that little changes add up. I want to check out the book you mentioned!

debra said...

Great post Carrie. I think it's all about the baby steps & doing what you are comfortable doing when you are comfortable doing it. And I would rather do one small step well than try to do 10 things that end up being a mess.

Thanks,Debra