Friday, October 24, 2008

Treat jar re-mix

Last winter, I posted about a traveling treat jar that I started passing around among a group of our friends/colleagues. I've been thinking about getting it going again, but this time with a different circulation of women. Well, recently two blogging ladies came across the idea and put their own spin on it, so I wanted to share their inspiring creativity!

My blogging friend Katie started passing around a jar at her church. You can find photos of her jars and poem here. Starr, a pastor's wife in Michigan, also wanted to get this going at her church, and she also put together two jars! She even included a list of the names of each family in her church so people can keep track of who has received the jar. Her post can be found here.

Before I even had a chance to decorate a new jar (sadly, my first treat jar was never returned to me, though I know who has it!), our MOPS group decided to do a traveling treat plate. So the idea works the same way, except we'll write the name of each recipient in permanent marker on the bottom. But otherwise, it will get filled up with goodies!

I'm actually delivering the plate today to one of the moms in my group (pictured above). I decided to give her some yummy pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and have included the recipe below. I confess when I heard the name of that combination, I didn't think I would like them. But they are delicious--and easy. And better yet, a batch makes two dozen, so there are plenty to both share and keep. Enjoy--and if you've started or received a traveling treat jar/plate, I'd love to hear about it!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

3 eggs
1 3/4 c. sugar
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
1 1/4 c vegetable oil
3 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
2 c. chocolate chips

In large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400 for 16-18 minutes. Cool.

16 comments:

Ginger said...

Sounds like a great recipe I will want to try. Thanks

mom said...

Good idea -- and these muffins sounds yummy! Love you, Mom

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Carrie, you always have the best ideas! Love the traveling treat plate.

Thanks for the muffin recipe. I'm supposed to make muffins in the morning for our neighborhood playground work crew...now I don't have to search for a recipe! I have all the ingredients on hand!

debra said...

What a fun idea. And I can't wait to try those muffins. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ewokgirl said...

What a great idea! I really like the idea of passing among the families at church. I'm seriously considering starting that one at mine!

Katie said...

I love your ideas!! I will have to try those muffins ~ they sound like a winner! :-)

(Sorry for my absence lately...my husband arrived home a week ago, and I've barely been on the computer!)

Have a wonderful weekend Carrie! (Thanks for the link too!) :-)

Amanda said...

I remember when you did this when I was at NW. I loved it, and thought it was such a neat idea. I just might have to start one of those hear as the holidays are nearing to spread some cheer. :)
Thanks for the recipe. I want to try it.

Amy A. said...

Ooh, those look so yummy.

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

I'm definitely going to do this!

Familia Stilwell said...

Oh, yum! I will have to try those!

Amy said...

That looks like a great recipe. You say the word "pumpkin" and that is all it takes for me ;) Thanks for sharing that!

Jenny S said...

This sounds so wonderful. Will have to give it a try.

Brie said...

Yum! I loved Great Harvest Pumpkin bread with chocolate chips so I'm definitely going to have to make these muffins. Love the idea of a traveling treat plate/jar. Never heard of anything like that.

Elizabeth said...

These look yummy! I am making muffins this afternoon for a friend's baby shower and I think I will add these to the menu. Thanks for sharing!

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

What a fantastic idea! Those muffins look fabulous - I am bookmarking your page so I can come back when I'm ready to make them. :)

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

The treat jar/plate idea is great! I think I may start that in my own church family. :)