Friday, November 7, 2008

29 gifts

I first learned about the 29 Gifts Challenge on my friend Amy's blog. I thought the idea was intriguing and decided to check out the site. The gist is that for 29 days, you give something away each day--there are no rules, so it can be something tangible or intangible.

I joined the challenge and starting keeping a list in my journal of what I was giving, so I wanted to share some of the highlights with you. I also kept track of gifts I received during this time, so I'll list those as well. You can click here for more info on how this movement got started, and how to participate.

Here are some of things I gave:
*baked goods to friends and acquaintances
*small gifts and packages to loved ones
*cleaned and organized a friend's pantry, which I'll share more about soon
*prayers, a listening ear, and encouragement
*hospitality to several new people I've been wanting to have over

Here are some special things I received last month:
*surplus apples and tomatoes from friends
*a morning of watching Nathan, offered by a friend
*a plate of brownies
*the news of a healthy daughter!
*surprise care packages from my mom and my friend Rebecca

I don't plan to continue keeping track of my giving on a list, but I do think this month made me more mindful of giving to others. And that's a gift in itself.
An unrelated note to add: I don't plan to post next week. My mother-in-law will be visiting, I'm starting my interim work at the college, and I'm way behind on visiting your blogs. So I'll see you back here the following Monday! (And I just have to share--we woke up to our first snowfall of the season this morning!)

11 comments:

mom said...

Dear Carrie, thank you for following up on the "29 Gifts" idea -- and thank you for the gift of tulip bulbs that you sent to me! :) Love you, Mom
PS: I'll miss your blog posts next week -- enjoy J's visit!

Super Mommy said...

I like the idea of focusing on giving. What a wonderful idea. Think I will join and give it a go. Good Luck next week. Well look forward to your return.

Wendi said...

I love the "29 Gifts" idea!

Hope that you have a wonderful week!

Christy@MercyEveryMorning said...

Thanks for sharing...I'm off to check out your friend's blog. Have fun in the snow! :)

Linds said...

Thanks for sharing Carrie. What a great idea and I'll have to check it out.
Snow already! We've been out of town so I'm not sure if we've had any at home or not. We're supposed to get some where we are at tonight though. I'm still holding on to autumn!

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

Interesting idea. Awesome about your snowfall and have a great visit w/ you mil.

Mrs Flam said...

I saw you left a comment on a blog of mine , my new adress is mrsflam.wordpress.com
Thanks for stopping by

Amy A. said...

Thank you for reminding me to update my gift list! It's neat to see what everyone if learning from this project.

Congratulations on your baby girl, too!

Amy said...

What a great idea- I love those ideas for giving. Thank you so much for sharing that!

Trisha Q said...

Thanks Carrie! We're 34 weeks!

Jamie said...

Wow! That is such a neat idea! I would really like to try it at some point. Thanks for sharing it.