Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Evaluating our Christmas celebrations

Each fall and winter, various educational community programs are offered in our area, and I was very intrigued when I read the following course description in the pamphlet that came in the mail:

"Have you ever found yourself in the midst of Christmas trees, parties, shopping and gift-wrapping and looking for something more? Do you find yourself wanting to be moved by the celebration of the spirit instead of being moved to hit a sale at the mall? This class is ideal for anyone who struggles to maintain a family-oriented Christmas. You will have an opportunity to explore your values around giving, family traditions, decorations, family time, and to explore what truly energizes you in your celebration."

When I noticed the instructor was an acquaintance I've admired, I wanted to attend even more and convinced my friend Jody to join me. Well, apparently we were the only ones interested--no one else registered for the class!

I was really disappointed the evening was canceled, but decided to ask the instructor if she would be willing to review the material with us privately. Jody was unable to come at the time we scheduled, so not only did I receive one-on-one guidance through the "class," I also didn't have to pay the $12 registration fee!

I am so excited to share with you what I learned that afternoon, and plan to do a series of posts on this topic next week. I hope you'll join me and look forward to your comments and ideas.

Until then, have a blessed Thanksgiving!

13 comments:

mom said...

I am for anything that keeps our Christmas focus on our families and the real reason for the season - Jesus! I'll be interested in what you post about this private class. :)
I'm thankful for you! Love, Mom

Wendi said...

I am looking forward to this series.

Ginger said...

Thanks Carrie. Your family has been on my mind constantly. I'm praying.

Special love to "Mom" from S.C.

Christy@MercyEveryMorning said...

Can't wait to hear it!

Prayers,
Christy

Jody said...

I'm looking forward to reading more. I would have attended this...

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

That sounds great. I look forward to it. I know as Joshua is now at an age of understanding it has really made me look at my Christmas plans/traditions and I've been trying to think through what I want to do.

Ewokgirl said...

I look forward to reading this, too. I love this time of year, but I get so frustrated at all the waste that goes on. (Ridiculous gift exchanges at practically every party, in which stuff no one really wants or needs is bought and passed out, for example.) The packed schedules for various "obligations." I could go on. Our next few weekends are already packed with activities. *sigh*

Katie said...

Wow, it's so neat how the Lord works everything out, isn't it? I, too, look forward to what you will be sharing on the subject. I'm itching to put up some posts of my own but haven't found the time yet. Hopefully soon!

Thinking of you this Thanksgiving and praying for your dad and for your wee itty bitty one... :-)

Blessings to you!
Katie
Philippians 4:11-13

Susan said...

I am interested to read this series. By the way, I am reading the Memoirs of a Geisha book that I won. I am really enjoying it, thanks!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Yes, please do share! I would have loved to have gone to that class with you.

asnipofgoodness said...

I would have signed up for the class!!! We are really concentrating on this very thing, and I will look forward to your posts!

Amanda said...

Sounds great. Can't wait to hear what you learned. I just finished the chapter in SGSTP on Christmas time and it reminisced with me completely. Now the struggle is how to take my desires and what I learned and figure out how to express it to family? Did you learn anything about this?

JLS said...

Enjoy this christmas celebrations with more fun and joy by meeting a new type of people.