Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Random updates

*Thanks to Eric's mom for visiting us last week--she is always so helpful and energetic, and we appreciated her coming!
*Have been meaning to update my fall reading list--only a month to go!

-Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon--loved it and reviewed the series here
-Cleaning Up the Clutter by Emilie Barnes--was interested in reading this because Monica found it so helpful. It wasn't my favorite, though I always enjoy reading about organization! =)
-The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers by Vicki Iovine--half-way through, though I've enjoyed her other books more than this one
-Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano--finished this one and hope to write some posts on it soon
-Hints on Child Training by H. Clay Trumbull--a few chapters into this one, which was recommended by a fellow blogger after this post
-Cheaper and Better by Nancy Birnes--not sure if I'll get to this one yet
-The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs--am determined to read this and return it to my mom at Christmas because she loaned it to me in April!

*An overdue thanks to Gail for this award!

*This is the collection week for Operation Christmas Child--I strongly encourage you to participate! Here is my middle school small group, posing with our shoeboxes!
*I've just started my interim work at the college--in the job I had before Nathan was born. I'll be working until they're able to hire a replacement, so it could be 2 weeks or 2 months--so we're trying to find a new routine again!

*Be sure to stop by tomorrow, as I have a fun giveaway planned--think holidays!

8 comments:

mom said...

Great photo of J and N! :) I'm sure they had fun together -- Love, Mom

autumnesf said...

Love Operation Christmas Child. Our Mom's group did a couple of boxes this month. It was great. We also did a "baby shower" for a local crisis pregnancy and parenting center.

Jody said...

My mom's group is doing boxes tonight. I bought a ton of stuff today... Seriously... I spent over $50 at the Dollar store!

Katie said...

Hi Carrie! We just had an OCC even with our homeschool group. :-) It was so touching as we listened to one of the boys in our homeschool group who actually *received* one of these packages when he was a young orphan in the Ukraine. He is a teen now, and his story of how this one box touched and impacted his life was unbelievably moving. Thanks for posting on this!

Katie said...

ooops...meant..."We had an OCC event (not even)" :-)

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures - love them as always! Thinking of you this week, my friend. Lovely to talk yesterday!

Mandi

Ewokgirl said...

I really think you'll like The Simple Living Guide. It's one of my favorites!

We do support Samaritan's Purse, although my husband and I choose not to do the shoeboxes. (Our church always participates.) I'm an animal lover, but with so many people in the world needing to know Jesus and get their basic needs met, we rarely support animal causes. BUT, Samaritan's Purse has an option for buying animals for needy families, such as goats to provide milk, chickens for eggs, cows, fish for ponds, etc. We buy animals instead of filling shoeboxes. :-)

Anonymous said...

Great picture of Nathan and his G'ma! Where are his curls?

I did a shoebox this year for the first time!

Take Carrie....Love, Grandma