Friday, November 21, 2008

Some thoughts on marriage

I had heard from a few people that the movie Fireproof was worth seeing, but figured we'd just wait for the DVD to come out. When my mother-in-law offered to watch Nathan so we could go to a movie, I jumped at the chance.


I don't usually cry in movies, but the story and message touched my heart and I was in tears several times. I think we can all relate to aspects of the characters (whether married or not), and I strongly encourage you to go see the film. As we walked out of the theatre, Eric said the movie reminded him to not take anything for granted. Marriage is a sacred gift and covenant!


Also on the subject of marriage, I keep thinking about a statement I read on my friend Amanda's blog that "marriage is not supposed to be hard, it is supposed to be good, and we have the choice to make it that way, by being led by the Spirit . . . I've always heard that marriage is hard work, until I met this couple. Marriage does not have to be hard work, dying to self is the difficult part." Wow, that's pretty thought-provoking!

In addition, I am reminded of the Scripture passage Eric and I chose to have read at our wedding:

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:12-17
Have you seen Fireproof? What was your reaction?

12 comments:

Hayley said...

Oh how I cannot WAIT to see this movie!!! I know it will be a great one to see together as a couple. I had not remembered the scriptures read at your wedding, but oh how appropriate! I'm going to mark those verses down if I haven't already. TFS!! Have a great weekend!

Christy@MercyEveryMorning said...

I LOVED it, and it made me cry, too. :) Wonderful movie.

Kristen said...

These verses from Corinthians will be read at my wedding a week from Saturday.
Fireproof was good. The conscience decision of both people in the marriage to live for the other is the basis. It has to be a consistent decision. Unattention is so awful...in any relationship: marriage, parent:child, teacher:student, friendship, etc.

Tracy said...

I went thinking "I bet this will be silly..." but I LOVED it. I think mostly because it was relatable. It wasn't one big thing that caused there marriage to fail...it was the little things. I honestly think that movie made me love my husband MORE.

Ticia said...

I too am very interested in seeing this movie. I have been married for 15 years. It has truly been giving to each other that has made our marriage great.

Leticia

Mary Ann said...

As you already know, we really loved this movie! I appreciated the thoughts and verses you shared today on marriage, too.

Michelle said...

I want to see Fireproof with my husband, but the next time we have a babysitter, we'll be going Christmas shopping... so hopefully it will make it to DVD soon!

Lisa said...

I am glad to see you supporting this movie. I live close to Sherwood Baptist in Albany, Georgia. They have done a GREAT job with their budget to produce such excellent movies! And I also thought Kirk Cameron was awesome for insisting he only kiss his wife so she replaced his actress wife in that scene!

Ewokgirl said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I am interested in it. We have a gift card for the movie theater, so maybe we'll see that with it. (Although I was hoping to see Twilight with it!)

I really like that quote you posted about how marriage is supposed to be good, not hard. I think a disservice we do to young brides and grooms is to tell them how hard marriage is. I remember so many people telling us that the first year of marriage is so difficult, but we didn't find it to be so. We've actually found marriage to be fairly easy. Yes, there are occasional disagreements, but overall, life together is fabulous!

I can only conclude that difficult personality traits are what make marriage hard. You know, stubbornness, lack of compromise, etc. But that totally ties in with what you said about dying to self. I won't pretend that I'm totally selfless in my marriage, because my husband would be the first to tell you that I'm not! But overall, we're willing to compromise and work together on stuff, which is what makes all the difference.

kelseylynae said...

Brent and I were able to go and see the movie. We were a little skeptical, as we felt Facing the Giants (the other film by this production company) painted Christianity in a health and wealth way...however, we were really impressed with the film and with the message.

Even though we have only been married 6 months, it was almost like another dose of marriage counseling for us. We were reminded of the gift we have in one another, and in the effort we should put forth for the other's sake.

After we left Brent said that he want to try to live more intentionally rather than accidentally in our married life.

kelseylynae said...

and by the way...we chose the first portion of that scripture for our wedding as well :)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Loved it and would love to see it again before it comes out on DVD.

Of course, I was a huge Kirk Cameron fan as a teen, so there was an added bonus! ; )

I love this passage of scripture. It's my current memory passage and my girls (well, my 4 year old, at least) has also memorized verses 12-14.