Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Trying to make the better choice

A couple of weeks ago our insurance provider contacted me regarding a new pregnancy wellness program they're implementing. There is no cost to participate--it's just a resource the company created to encourage better health for pregnant women.

By opting to join, I had to complete a brief survey in which an OB nurse asked me a series of questions about my pregnancy and my overall health. I was cruising through with the "right" answers, until she asked if I eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Umm, well, not so much. When I confessed that I did not, she said she would send me some information on nutrition during pregnancy! Well, it's been interesting that I've been more motivated in this area since that phone call. I think I just needed a little push in the right direction.

I'm really trying to make better choices! For example, the other night I was craving a bowl of ice cream. Before indulging, I tried to convince myself to choose an apple instead, but that did not sound nearly as appealing. While wrestling with my decision, I then remembered a simple and healthy milk shake recipe from What to Expect that I'd made several times when pregnant with Nathan. So that felt like a good compromise. I've learned about myself that I like to eat healthy meals, but when it comes to snacking, I am way too likely to reach for carbs/unhealthy fats. I'm trying to make strides in getting to the 5/day goal, which is healthy for pregnancy and beyond!

What about you--where would you place yourself on a healthy eating continuum? And if you're currently pregnant, do you find yourself putting more emphasis on nutrition?

If you're interested, here's the recipe for the "double milk shake:"

1 c. milk
1/3 c. non-fat dry milk
1 frozen overripe banana, cut into chunks
1 t. vanilla (I omit this)
chocolate syrup to taste

Puree in blender--makes one tall glass.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

It is never to late in life to start taking better care of your self. This has become my motto lately. I have been working to make better choices in what I pick up as a snack. Carbs are easy! Guess we will just keep trying. Have a great day.

Kendra said...

Um, um, um...

You caught me dead-handed! :) I definitely do not get my full five servings in each day. I'm lucky to get one or two each day. I'm like you - I like the not-so-healthy snacks. Raw carrots just don't cut it for me as a snack, but I better start doing a better job for me and the baby!

Thanks for the good reminder. One prediction...I will get 5 servings (of probably veggies alone) in on Thanksgiving!!!

Kendra said...

Update - my first snack of the day was a can of mandarin oranges. Normally it would be crackers and cheese. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Jamie said...

Mmmm...that sounds good. I need a new blender, mine broke. :-( I am not very good about getting all my fruits and veggies in either. Though I do a little better having Luke around I think. I'm much more concerned about him eating fruits and veggies so if I'm getting them out for him, I tend to eat some too.

Frances said...

I'm right there with you, Carrie! Keeping a food diary for two weeks for my Bradley childbirth class was a good motivator for me to make better choices. I needed your inspiring post to keep me on the right path. I am glad your insurance provides this service, too - I am looking forward to my next phone chat with my support nurse...and to the healthcare flex spending $$ we'll get by participating! :)

kelseylynae said...

Brent and I really try to eat healthy. My mom was always great about making sure we had all the right servings when we were younger, so now I don't feel like a meal is complete without a healthy dose of a fruit and a veggie. I also love "snacking" on steamed broccoli (call me crazy!) I also recently found some easy-steam meals that Green Giant makes, and when they are on special I stock up (fun names like "immunity blend" etc).

All this to say..I TRY to eat healthy and I DO enjoy healthy foods...but if it makes you feel any better I just had a big cookie dough :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I try very hard to eat right...and we do for the most part, but it's hard to get those fruit/veggie servings in. It's especially hard when your friends send you candy in the mail! :)

Emily said...

Not to burst your bubble, but 5 servings is the minimum number of fruits and vegetables we should all be aiming for. Sorry, the dietitian wrecks the party again. But I do support small servings of what you crave (chocolate, etc) to keep you from binging on it later.

Mary Ann said...

Not pregnant but I find it is the hardest to eat healthfully and get enough fruits and veggies on the weekends when we are eating leftovers or quick meals and when we eat out. Even though we do pretty good throughout the week, it seems I can't wait to eat junk food when I get the chance!

One thing that does help me is to have some salad items already prepared. Otherwise, it seems like it is too much bother to fix a salad, especially when I'm in a hurry or the two year olds are screaming for lunch!

Lately, I've been trying to be much more mindful of what I eat, especially the size of the portions and the ratio of meat/carbs to veggies and fruit on my plate.