Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Festivities

I have to say that after reading on Friday what Eric had planned for me the next day, the anticipation was half the fun! I had a wonderful birthday "eve," with lovely comments already rolling in, some early gifts/phone calls, and an evening with girlfriends.

Saturday morning, Eric served me breakfast in bed, a tradition we adopted from some dear friends of ours. He made yummy caramel rolls, served with juice, coffee and fruit. Nathan thought it was the coolest thing to eat on Mommy and Daddy's bed! After we were done eating, I opened a few gifts, and then the boys whisked away the dirty dishes. Gotta love that. I stayed in my pj's until 10:00, which felt so delicious. I read some of this, and chatted on the phone with my parents. I then requested we go to the campus rec center as a family so I could walk on the track and the boys could play, and we had a nice little outing over there. We were only gone an hour, but when we came home, I'd received three voicemails and a gorgeous bouquet of daisies. (Thanks, E+M--don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?! I love 'em, and I also love that movie I just quoted--know which one I'm talking about?!)
Eric made a lovely lunch of soup and sandwiches and then we just hung out for the afternoon. Monica sent me some craft supplies, and I couldn't help myself--I was immediately inspired to work on a little project for the baby's room. Wish I could show you, but it has her name on it, and everyone will just have to be patient a little longer. =)

We got Nathan and the babysitter all set, and then you know the plan from there. Our dinner was delicious--I've really been craving fruits and veggies this pregnancy (Praise the Lord--with Nathan, my biggest craving was French fries!), so an all-you-can-eat stir-fry buffet was just the ticket.

Due to snow and my extra-long deliberations at a couple craft store stops, Barnes and Noble unfortunately got wiped off the agenda. That ensured that I wouldn't feel rushed at the "big destination" of the night. (Just to clarify, we live in RURAL Iowa, which means a trip to a city is a special treat--thus, the emphasis on our final stop.) Some of you may be wondering what I bought with my $30 spending money. The truth is--I didn't get anything. Having just received so many nice gifts at Christmas and already that day, I just couldn't justify purchasing something else for myself. I'm going to keep thinking about how to use the money, which was a lovely gesture on Eric's part.

Wish we had more photos to share, but we forgot the camera in the car at the restaurant. I brought it into Target thinking we could have the lovely returns person take our picture, which was a funny idea, but not meant to be--the batteries had frozen from sitting out in the frigid temps (where do we live?!)

It was a fun day--thanks again for your part in ensuring it was memorable!

17 comments:

Mary Ann said...

You've Got Mail. Love that movie. We just watched it the other night which is why I remember that!!!

Sounds like a great day!

Mom said...

Love these photos and the report of your day! :) Love, Mom

Jeremy and Christa Nichols said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LATE! I'm so sorry I didn't get posted to your blog in time! I hope you havd a wonderful day - it sounds like you did. :)

kelseylynae said...

Carrie,

Your day sounds wonderful! And daisies are my favorite because I feel they are a wise investment in that they are relatively inexpensive and last a very long time...and of course I have to agree with Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail :)

Also, about painting a canvas for baby girl's room: I actually would really enjoy that! I loved helping S+R with a canvas for O, and since I won't be able to give you my time to babysit, this might be the ticket! And I'm always wanting more craft ideas. So let me know what you're thinking, or at least colors.

Another snow day here...so laundry it is!

Wendi said...

Glad that you enjoyed your day!

Carmen said...

I love 'You've Got Mail' too. Thanks for tellins us so much about your day!!

Susan said...

I am so glad you had a great day! Those carmel rolls looked yummy!

thehomespunheart said...

Fun movie! Glad you had a fun day!

Ewokgirl said...

Looks like a wonderful way to spend a birthday! I'm impressed you allowed Nathan to eat on the bed with you, too.

I can (sort of) understand about not really wanting anything so soon after Christmas. Because my birthday and Christmas are one and the same, I'm always more than content come January. BUT, I'd still have no trouble finding some way to spend that $30. ;-)

Oh, and thanks to your hubby because he got you back blogging. For now, at least!

Katie said...

Dear Carrie,

What a neat and memorable day! So fun.

I kid you not - my hubby this very morning emailed me and said..."How about watching You've Got Mail tonight...for some reason I can't get the opening song out of my head??" Now that I read your post, I just think it's too funny.

If I could send you a bday present, I would definitely send you a 'bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils' to write all those lovely cards you make. :-)

Glad your 30th bday was filled with blessings!

Enjoy the rest of your week,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Oh so i just read this and you already took a pic of the flowers -wahoo, they rock! Yay! And that quote comes from...You've Got Mail of course. They are the friendliest flower, aren't they? Love you!
mandi

Julie Anne said...

I love daisies!! I think I need to watch You've Got Mail again!!

Looks like you had a wonderful day!

Happy belated birthday!!

Maddy said...

Now that's some kind of treat or what!
Best wishes

Jenny said...

I understand the batteries freezing part. Since not long ago my car battery froze from the temp dipping a little low here in Utah.

What a wonderful day! Love how you were feed in bed. Your day just sounds wonderful.


Have a great Wednesday. Can you believe how fast the week has gone already.

Mom2Drew said...

I feel like I got the play by play, I love that! What a delicious looking breakfast and the wanna-be knitter in me wants to know...did you make that blanket/quilt? I love all the colors!

I also love that you saved your money until you figured out just what to do with it. That is something I really want to be better at in 2009, so thanks for the inspiration.

Amy said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! I am so happy for you!!

Debi said...

Happy Birthday! :) I just started reading your blog, after coming over here from Monica's blog. It's fun to read! :) I must admit, it was nice to read that you're from rural Iowa, too! Might I ask where? If you'd rather not say, that's ok, I totally understand. I lived in Iowa my whole life and we just moved from Ankeny (near Des Moines) about 18 months ago and now live in KC. I miss Iowa and it was nice to see someone from 'home'!lol Anyway, happy belated birthday!

Debi
www.pursuedbylove.wordpress.com