Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Ebenezer

"Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by Thy help I've come."
Several years ago, while singing that line from the familiar hymn "Come Thou Fount," I realized I had no idea what those words meant. I decided to ask the pastor after the service, and he explained that an Ebenezer ("a stone of help") is a monument to the Lord, acknowledging that He has led and helped us thus far. I love that! What an appropriate image as we transition to a new year.
Eric and I spent some time last night reflecting on 2008, specifically thanking God for these blessings to our family:
*The provision of Eric's job at the right time. He loves going to work each day, is no longer stressed, and is part of an amazingly supportive environment.
*This beautiful, cozy house. A year ago, even 9 months ago, I wouldn't have imagined we'd be in a home that perfectly met our criteria. Isn't God good?!
*Expecting a second child--a little girl. We praise the Lord that I've been pretty healthy so far and look forward to meeting our daughter soon!
*My dad's contentedness with his situation. His pain has decreased, and though none of us are glad about the diagnosis and many unknowns, I can see the good that has already come from such a challenge. We are much more aware of what is important. Our time together over the holidays was precious, and I can see that several relationships in our family have already been enriched during this past month.
*The opportunities I've been given to serve in ministry roles, as well as the 3 different part-time jobs that have been offered to me during this academic year. I'll be wrapping up the second job soon, and jumping right into the third, which will end in mid-February.
Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare. Psalm 40:5
Note: I'm making an exception today to my Thursday no-blogging rule, as I wanted to post this on January 1. I'll be back to "regularly scheduled programming" on Monday the 5th.

12 comments:

Ginger said...

Carrie, I am so happy you and your family had your "Colorado Christmas" replete with snow (for Monica) and priceless memories. May 2009 bring you much hope and happiness~~

gail said...

i never knew what ebenezer meant. what a great description. and i love how you can see God's goodness in so many areas. glad you're back.

Sarah B. B. said...

I love that hymn, too, Carrie - fortunately, our hymnals have a little asterisk explaining what an ebenezeer is. I'm also glad y'all have had such a great visit with your family. Have a great 2009!

Nicol said...

I love that hymn, we certainly don't sing it enough in my opinion. I didn't know what an ebenezer was either. Thanks for sharing that!

I hope you have a wonderful 2009!

Wendi said...

I am glad that you had some precious time with your family. Wishing you plenty of faith, hope and love in the New Year!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie:

What a beautiful post! I'm so thankful that you can see the blessings of even the seemingly unfortunate situations that have come about, as well as all the good things that God has done for you & Eric this past year. Yes, God is GOOD!

I pray His richest blessings on you and your family in this new year.

Love you, Grandma

Jeremy and Christa Nichols said...

Thanks Carrie, for reminding me to look back on the blessings God has sent to me this past year. It's such a good perpective to look for His footsteps.

Christy@MercyEveryMorning said...

I enjoyed reading about God's provision in your life! I've given you two blog awards...see here for details: http://mercyeverymorning.blogspot.com/2009/01/doubly-blessed.html

Blessings,
Christy

Amy A. said...

Your list is very encouraging. Thanks for sharing your reflections.

mom said...

Dear Carrie -- what a precious list of things you are thankful for! I treasure the memories of our family Christmas together -- we love you! Mom

Blair Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linds said...

Carrie-
I've been meaning to comment on this post and things have been a little crazy trying to get back into a normal routine :) I love your list and that hymn!

When we feel like God has given us a significant verse or event, something we want to look back and remember God's faithfulness or story we actually take a rock and write on it, the date and whatever else. We started right before we got married and have several now, it's SO neat to look back and see the story God has unfolded.