Monday, January 26, 2009

Simple abundance

I have written this post many times in my head over the past couple of days, and now that I'm sitting down to actually type, I'm not quite sure what to say. I'll try to relate what's on my heart, though, because I have been very touched by so many of you who took the time to write such special comments.

This post blew. me. away. Eric has surprised me many times--that man is so clever and crafty--but this one really took the cake (ha ha, a little birthday humor). On Friday afternoon, I sat down to check my e-mail, and when I clicked on my inbox, there were several messages labeled "comment on 'Blog Invasion.'" What in the world?! I popped over to my blog, and quickly read the "mystery" post. I immediately called Eric at his office, and told him how shocked and excited I was. Then I had to re-read the post, more slowly this time, as I'd missed a lot of the details due to my initial adrenaline! =)

Reading through your comments (three times so far!), I have felt abundantly blessed. I'm so humbled by your observations and encouragements, and I can tell you that I definitely am feelin' the love from all your words of affirmation. Thank you so much for your kind and meaningful thoughts.

I titled this post as such to 1) play off the book of the same name and 2) because I was struck by how simple Eric's idea was in a lot of ways--and yet it was abundant. What I mean by that is, I think the concept of love languages is fairly simple to understand once we start paying attention to what makes those around us feel most loved. And if we're not sure what that is, we can ask them, or just watch even more carefully. But by combining elements of all five of the love languages (and if you're not sure what I'm talking about, you really should check this* out!), Eric made sure I would feel love in abundance. What a special gift he gave me--and quite inspiring to the rest of us, don't you think?

I'll share more tomorrow about the actual details of my birthday, but wanted to promptly send out this "thank you note" to all who helped make the celebration even sweeter. Blessings, friends!

*I noticed the site has a 30-second quiz to help you identify your own love language--what a wonderful resource. I'd love to hear what your primary love language is if you're willing share!

10 comments:

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

How very sweet! Happy Birthday!

Christy@MercyEveryMorning said...

Oh, I meant to leave you a comment on Saturday, and then we were hardly home. Happy Birthday, late! Your dh really did a great job. :)

Blessings,
Christy

Brie said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Carrie! What a great idea Eric had :)

Brie said...

Oh, mine's "quality time" by the way and I knew that even before taking the quiz. I didn't know he had a book about the "5 languages of apology", though. That was interesting.

gail said...

i'm so glad you enjoyed your day and were blown away by eric's suprise. he is definitely crafty and clever.

Mom2fur said...

Hey, Happy Birthday! Mine was yesterday (I'm 53, guess I have a few years...I mean decades...on you, LOL!)
Now I'm gonna scroll down and read what your husband wrote.

Mary Ann said...

Mine's a tie between gifts and acts of service.

Jenny said...

Love the book, 5 Love Language!

I did not know about the 5 lanuages of apology! Will have to take a look at it.

Jamie said...

Aww! Happy Belated Birthday! I haven't been in the blog world much lately, but I hope you had a wonderful day. You are definitely an encouraging and sweet person. Always leaving kind comments and thoughts to encourage others is appreciated by myself and so many others I am sure! :-)

milissa said...

I LOVE that book too! My primary love language is gifts...which explains why I'm all over gifts whenever there's a reason to celebrate. Can't wait to hear about your birthday!