Friday, February 20, 2009

The Wild Honeys

After I graduated from college in Iowa, I moved back home to Colorado to teach middle school English. It was one of the most challenging times in my life, and God knew I needed special support that year.

My long-time friend Allison invited me to join a small group with some other women who had just completed this study. I remember feeling a little awkward at the first gathering since most of the ladies already knew each other, and I wondered where I would fit into such a random group. I was the youngest of the seven women (ages 22-36), but we were all single and all loved the Lord.

I don't recall how we decided what to read together that year, but somehow we selected a book called The Allure of Hope, written by a compassionate local woman with whom I'd had a couple ties in the past. This book deeply resonated with all of us, and we became close spiritual sisters as the result of our conversations. We met every Tuesday night to discuss a chapter from the book, and to spend time in heartfelt prayer for one another. Once a month or so, we'd have a fun social event--ice cream, a slumber party or a night on the town. Along the way, we dubbed ourselves The Wild Honeys. It was such an appropriate name for a vibrant group of women!

It's hard for me to believe we only met together for one year before I decided to return to Iowa to be the director of a women's dorm. Since that time, 5 of us have gotten married, and there are currently 3 "little honeys" with 3 more on the way! Four of us have moved away from Colorado, so staying in touch has become much more difficult, but I'm always glad to hear from them. I was so honored when these fabulous ladies road tripped out here for my wedding several years ago. We have many memories together, involving much laughter and tears, and I remain thankful for their friendship.

The Wild Honeys, circa 2002: (front) Susan, me, Allison; (middle) Jenny, Rebecca, Amy; (back) Donna Rene

7 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I know you guys share a special bond! I think that is so neat. And I didn't realize that was how you knew Susan (I read her blog).

I'm also a fan of The Allure of Hope!

Mom said...

What a special group of ladies! And what a fun-loving bunch! :) I'm so glad you had these dear sisters in Christ at a time when it was needed! Love you, Mom

Rebecca said...

Whoo Hoo for the Wild Honey's! Our time together was such a treasure - and the relationships still run deep. Thanks Carrie for a walk down memory lane. :)

Amy Kathryn said...

What a wonderful time for us, a time I will never forget. Though we have moved apart you guys are still close to my heart. Chris loves to hear about the "wild honey's" or "hottie coco matties". He knows exactly who I am talking about. Very fond memories. Love ya all!

Susan said...

Miss you guys! Very rarely do you find a safe place to just "be". It is great to see where the road has taken each of us. Thank you so much Carrie, it was fun read this!

ScrappinAway said...

I love that! I am in a small group of women only and it is fabulous to have women of the same faith and beliefs to confide in and pray for each other!

Allison said...

I couldn't agree more with the comments left. Thank you for the walk down memory lane. I do miss you all very much.