Friday, May 8, 2009

Catalog hacks

I enjoyed reading this post awhile back where Meredith tapped into the inspiration of a popular home decorating catalog. In that spirit, here are some "hacks" now hanging in my home. =)

A year or so ago, I saw a giraffe print in the PBK catalog that I thought was really cute (However, it was $289!!) I put the page in my idea notebook for reference, and came across it this winter when decorating Nathan's room. One of our favorite babysitters (who unfortunately moved away!) is very talented artistically, so I asked her if she would be willing to try her hand at painting the giraffe for Nathan's room. Didn't she do a fabulous job? We love it--thank you, Kelsey!
When I saw this darling name banner, I thought it would be easy to create one myself at a fraction of the cost. I love how it turned out, and I spent less than the price of one of the catalog letters ($2.95):

11 comments:

Wendi said...

They both turned out really cute!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love both projects, but Nathan's smile is what made my heart the happiest!

Carmen said...

You are so creative! Love Nathan's smile in this post. Hope you are having a great day!

Mary Ann said...

Too cute! I especially like the name banner.

Our Lives said...

Nathan had that "I am a big brother now" look on his face. So precious!
I like the name banner. It reminds me when I tried to make my daughter's one year old birthday celebration a bit more jazz by hand cutting the letter of her name and put the whole thing above the collage of photos of her one year old life. Scrapbook paper did not exist at the time, so I used color construction papers. :) It worked for me!

kelseylynae said...

Glad you are pleased with the giraffe! It was such a joy to see your family again!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Those are great! I think Nathan's giraffe actually looks better than the PB one. You have a talented friend! The banner is super cute. I love finding frugal options!

Leanne said...

AWESOME! I've borrowed a bunch of those ideas, for such little money! I ADORE that giraffe!
Hope your little family of four is doing well!
Leanne

carolyn said...

You are thrifty and clever--love that! I'm not that creative on my own, but I'm good at copying! :)

Molly said...

Adorable!

Anonymous said...

I love the name thing you made for Natalie!

Mandi