Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The flax of life =)

I don't recall where I first read about the health benefits of flax, but I started added it to various recipes such as banana bread. Here are two new favorites using this wonderful grain:

I recently came across this "heart-healthy" oatmeal recipe in this magazine. Nathan and I both thought it was yummy, and it's a great way to start the day!


Creamy cranberry oatmeal (makes 2 servings)


In a saucepan, bring 2. cups milk to boiling. Stir in 1 cup quick oats, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 2 T. dried cranberries. Cook over medium heat for two minutes, or until most of the milk is absorbed. Stir occasionally, then let stand until desired consistency. Stir in 2 T. ground flaxseed or toasted wheat germ.


The recipe suggests topping with raspberry jam. I added applesauce to Nathan's and a touch of brown sugar to mine. Delish!

I love granola bars, but they can be expensive and not always very nutritious. Here's a nice and easy alternative:

No-bake Granola Flax Treats

1/4 cup margarine
4 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup crushed cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (I used honey grahams instead)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup ground flax

Melt margarine in a large saucepan over low heat; add marshmallows and stir continuously until mixture is smooth. Stir in oats, graham cracker crumbs, cranberries, sunflower seeds and flax. Mix until thoroughly combined. Spray 8"x8" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Enjoy--anyone else have some winning recipes that call for flax?

7 comments:

Mom said...

Cute title! :) I've never tried flax -- where do you find it in the store? near the oatmeal? Love you, Mom

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

GREAT title!!!

I add flax to smoothies sometimes, and here is my FAVORITE muffin recipe.

http://mersrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/10/flaxseed-muffins.html

Tell your mom that I buy ground flax (flaxmeal) in the refrigerated section of Vitamin Cottage. Sometimes I buy whole flaxseeds and grind them myself in our coffee grinder. ;)

gail said...

we add cranraisins and walnuts to our oatmeal--yummy! thank you for the flax ideas. i have a huge bag in my fridge that i've been trying to use since i learned its so good for you.

my sis told me you can't cook with it or it loses its good properties, do you know if that's true? or is that just the flax oil?

debra said...

I buy whole ground flaxseed meal (Bob's Red Mill brand) @ my grocery store in the 'natural' refrigerated section. You can also buy it whole & ground it yourself.

You can use the ground flaxseed meal in baking. It can be substituted for shortening or cooking oil at a ratio of 3 to 1 in baked goods. (ie. 1-1/2 of flaxseed meal can replace 1/2 cup butter,margarine or cooking oil in a recipe. Your baked goods will tend to brown more rapidly when you subsitute flaxseed meal.

Your granola treats sound great. Can't wait to try the recipe.

Amy said...

I need to add some flax seed to our diet. Thank you for reminding me to do this!

Iowa Birdie said...

I made the flax treats and they were delicious. My soon to be 2 year old and her much older father loved them. Please continue to share healthy treats with us. Where did the flax treats recipe come from?

Thanks again!

Where do you live in Iowa? I live in Ankeny. :)

*carrie* said...

Iowa Birdie,

I failed to give credit to our local newspaper which said the recipe was from Hyvee.

I tried to respond to you directly, but was unable to access your blog or e-mail address. We live in a small town on the western side of the state.